Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with machine binding >
  • Help with machine binding

• Help with machine binding

Old 11-11-2021, 06:49 AM
    Power Poster

I can never get the back stitching to look right when I try to machine bind. I sew on the right side then hand stitch the back. I have no trouble with mitered corners, but I don't like the way the stitching looks on the back when I try to catch it. I'm going to look at some of these links, thanks.
    Old 11-11-2021, 06:57 AM

GREAT ! Very clear instructions & photos! Thanks
    Old 11-11-2021, 08:56 PM

Here's one more method... Stitch the binding onto the front. Roll it to the back and glue only the corners in place. Then on the front of the quilt, stitch-in-the-ditch right next to the binding. Use thread that matches the quilt front on top, and thread that matches the binding on the bobbin. This looks better than any machine binding method I've tried.
    Old 11-12-2021, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I do all machine bindings. I sew my folded binding to the back of the quilt, and turn it to the front. Then I topstitch very close to the edge. I miter the corners as I come to them.

It takes practice and experimentation to find the right width of strip to cut and the right seam allowance, and how to make a pretty turn so the binding looks good on the front. Don't be discouraged if you need to rip and redo sections when you first start.
    Me too! I try and get thread that matches each side closely which sometimes means different in top and bottom!

Takes me about 2 hours to do a generous lap - just finished one yesterday 70 x 70.