Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pay it forward... >
  • Pay it forward...

• Pay it forward...

Old 01-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by harryb1834
    I don't know what has come over me today, since I have never posted anything like this before. I was just talking to an owner of a quilt shop...and things are not going so well for her in this economy. It wasn't what she said, it was more of what she wouldn't tell me. For her privacy, I will not mention more, but I was thinking all it would take is a few more customers to buy something each month. So I guess I am saying, go buy more fabric from you local shop, unless you have too much. I am sure this little quilt shop is not the only one that is in trouble.

- Harry
    Can you ever have to much??
    Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 AM

We just lost our RV business of 11 years due to the economy so I do so understand her fears, our little quilt shop is struggling also in town, I used to be her best customer but now have to struggle just to get along.
    Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 AM

let us not forget that where we spend our money has every thing to do with jobs, the value of our dollar(s), our economy. that goes for patronizing lqs if possible as well as the priority the manufacturing companies (whom we give our money to) give to americans.
    Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 AM

I am POSITIVE that if you asked the store owner if she would mind having more business...she would be thrilled. I would purchase unseen just to help her out! Please give it some thought and I will try to watch for the next couple of days for an update from you...I think you are "selling her short" (no pun intended) but not making the offer to help.
    Old 01-09-2011, 06:13 AM

Look at all the people on here that want to offer help. How touching. Classes are definitely a key to increasing business. Please keep us updated on your friend.
    Old 01-09-2011, 06:13 AM

My lqs has a dollar table and a 2 dollar table,she puts seconds and mill ends or anything she deem suitable on these tables and sells it for that price, I have picked up backings for my quilts for one dollar a yard, Backings and an occasional other piece of a special color or print is all I buy,everthing else comes from my stash which I obtained prior to my retirement. Thank You Lord...
    Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 AM

Two quilt shops in my area have closed. One claimed that it was because quilters are making scrappy quilts (using their stash) instead of buying new fabric. I'm sorry to see them go but if you can't afford to buy more fabric......
    Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 AM
    Banned

Our local quilt shops are simply too expensive. At $15 a meter I can buy 3 meters online for less. I would love to help them out but it would put me in a position that I cannot afford, to do so. I do however try to go for the odd things that I need, but most times it is just too pricey.
    Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 AM

It is so important to support our LQS as when they aren't there you realise what you miss. I popped into my one on Friday and bought a few bits n pieces, not anymore expensive than buying online when you take postage into account. I also hold 2 patchwork classes each week so I let him know what I will be telling my ladies what they need and he lets me know the price and gets them in stock, works both ways that way.

Please support your LQS even it's just for the odd bits n pieces.
    Old 01-09-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by harryb1834
    I don't know what has come over me today, since I have never posted anything like this before. I was just talking to an owner of a quilt shop...and things are not going so well for her in this economy. It wasn't what she said, it was more of what she wouldn't tell me. For her privacy, I will not mention more, but I was thinking all it would take is a few more customers to buy something each month. So I guess I am saying, go buy more fabric from you local shop, unless you have too much. I am sure this little quilt shop is not the only one that is in trouble.

- Harry
    What a wonderful thing to do for someone in need!!! I know that it is true for most small quilt shops and I do shop when I have money. Thank you
    :thumbup: