Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Featherweight Curious? >
  • Featherweight Curious?

• Featherweight Curious?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 AM

So why doesn't SINGER make a 2014 exact copy of the ol' reliable FW??? Weight of machine, materials used, and esp. the size of those feed dogs... No matter how many cams, feet, attachments, stitch designs, electronics, computer chips, embroidery stitches, etc..... IT JUST DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER than this classic!
    Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM

I have fallen in love with Featherweights since joining the board. I would love to have one at some point.
    Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Singer (or anyone for that matter) doesn't make machines that last 50 years or more because they wouldn't have anybody to sell to or not as many. I love my Featherweight.
    Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM

They are not only wonderful machines, just like Dunster said, but they are great for people who don't have a lot of space. I gave mine to my daughter, so now she can enjoy sewing in her little apartment. The first thing she did was to sew me a little journal cover. As an aside - I have a Singer 301A, the big sister of the Featherweight and I adore that sewing machine!
    Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by cpfrog
    So why doesn't SINGER make a 2014 exact copy of the ol' reliable FW??? Weight of machine, materials used, and esp. the size of those feed dogs... No matter how many cams, feet, attachments, stitch designs, electronics, computer chips, embroidery stitches, etc..... IT JUST DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER than this classic!
    Because they want you to buy another machine when your plastic wonder dies in a few years. If they built machines that lasted 50-100 years or more they wouldn't have repeat customers.
    Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM

I love love love all 5 of my FWs, 2 are black, one is shimmering green, one is royal blue. and the one I got for B-dat this last April at the Paducah quilt show is Fushia pink. When I give a quilt class, the hum of little 221s is so sweet. and I can service them all my self, got the book and DVD, so very helpful to me as NOT what you would call the least bit mechinal. Heck I can't even spell it, LOL
    Old 07-17-2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by cpfrog
    So why doesn't SINGER make a 2014 exact copy of the ol' reliable FW???
    you could try one of these replicas
    http://www.sewsing.com/featherweight221.php

I FAR prefer my 404 singer, but the fun of life is how we each find our own sweet spot.

There are new treadles and hand cranks being made also, for sale in countries that still don't have readily available electricity, and groups like the Amish.
    Old 07-17-2014, 01:50 PM

The women in my quilting group raved about theirs. I told my husband I would like one so he bought one. It is beautiful, perfect condition. That said, I like piecing on my BL quilters pro better. I quilt on the babylock crescendo. Gave my BL xcape to my daughter that I bought for class. Only use the FW when camping or to a class (which I rarely do). Will take the FW when I start going to Monday night open sew again this fall.
    Old 07-17-2014, 06:37 PM

I have three young granddaughters that I would like to introduce to sewing. (None of their mothers sew.) I think a featherweight would be the perfect machine for this. I have a couple of large computerized sewing machines that can be kind of intimidating to a young girl just starting out. However, I have yet to find a featherweight for a decent price. I live in a larger metropolitan area and it seems anyone with a featherweight for sale wants a ridiculously high price for them. I have been reluctant to go the ebay route (those are usually pretty pricey too) due to a bad experience with ebay in the past. Suggestions?
    Old 07-18-2014, 02:00 PM

I too like so many want a Featherweight but it isn't in my future yet. I did run across this little gem on CL this morning, I don't don't know if they are crazy or smart in what they are asking but it sure is beautiful. Never seen one like this though. I don't know anyone affiliated with this ad.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/atq/4573893069.html