Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How would you set these antique candle wick blocks? >
  • How would you set these antique candle wick blocks?

• How would you set these antique candle wick blocks?

Old 02-14-2015, 08:20 AM

Oh, these are lovely. I love candle wicking! When it was a craz about 40 years ago, I made a number of samples for a fabric store I worked for. Still have them. Some day they will be antiques!
    Old 02-14-2015, 09:23 AM

Beautiful! I would consider making decorative pillows. Maybe trimmed and backed with linen. A bed or table runner would also be nice.
    Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    Not knowing how old these block are, I would do a tug test. Saw a post on Bonnie Hunter and she was getting ready to work on some vintage fabric. She had sewn a few together and they tore right in her hands. She took a couple other pieces and tugged. The fabric had broken down and became unstable. She stopped using them all and just put them back. This was this week. May want to do a tug test just in case. The fabric was almost 100 years old she stated. Worth a shot. Yours may not be that old but I would do it anyway. Hope it passes the tug test.
    I wonder if using iron on woven interfacing would help support the old fabric, at least enough to make a wall hanging?
    Old 02-14-2015, 09:58 AM
    Power Poster

I used to use eyelet lace to set mine with. It is a great companion fabric to use with candlewicking.
    Old 02-14-2015, 10:55 AM

the first thing that popped into my head was to cut them in elongated diamond shape. Use neutrals (perhaps an almond and a soft beige tone on tones) to sash and cornerstone. I think the diamond shape has a bit of royal look to it. This would also work in rectangles, but, if possible, diamonds would be nice. If more of a showpiece than a used piece, even consider sashing of a satin or lacey fabric (Victorian style). Beautiful handwork!
    Old 02-14-2015, 05:55 PM

klswift, that is a great idea.
    Old 02-15-2015, 05:23 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cogito
    i love this idea Twinkie! I am all about making sure my family (including nieces and nephews) get all of the family heirlooms I have....that all seemed to come to me because my siblings neither care nor had the house size. She has 3 granddaughters so I could contemplate making 3 with 4 blocks each.
    My "MeeMaw" who passed away in 1980 at the age of 88, crocheted beautifully. In fact, she taught me (the only grandchild who was interested in learning the craft) to crochet at the age of 5. She would crochet decorative edges on linen handkerchiefs putting southern belle dolls, butterflies, or someone's initial in the corner. They were so beautiful and I loved them so I asked my aunt if I could have some of them. She gave me all of them. Hoorah!!! For CHRISTmas last year I folded them in a triangle where the beautiful crocheting showed and placed 3 of them in a picture frame layered. In the corner, I placed a little card that said these were hand crocheted by my Great Great Grandmother, In the other corner I put a picture of her, her name, her date of birth and death. They seemed to be very well received. I wish I had taken a picture of them before giving them as gifts.
    Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 AM

If you set them 4 across and 3 down ( sounds unusual, but measurements work), AND put a 2 inch sashing between each block and 2 inch border around, you end up with a 54 x 59 inch (if my math is right) and that's not a bad size for a nap quilt or couch quilt, or even a bed topper for decoration or for extra warmth in winter.
    Old 02-15-2015, 07:22 AM

What about after sashing and finishing putting them in a frame?
    Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 AM

They are gorgeous!!! I remember when I used to do candlewicking. I would not put them on point because of the directions of the blocks. I think the white on off white would be pretty for the sashing and borders. You are a wonderful neighbor. Please make sure we get to see the finished product.