Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash or Buy as Needed? >
  • Stash or Buy as Needed?

• Stash or Buy as Needed?

Old 06-17-2017, 04:05 AM

I have a moderate stash and generally buy as needed, especially since it seems they release new and beautiful fabric collections frequently. Since I am a gemini, what I purchased last year may not be what I like this year. LOL
    Old 06-17-2017, 04:09 AM

If I had it to do over I would only buy as needed so I would not be so over whelmed.
    Old 06-17-2017, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Well, my head, which is the part of me that pays the bills, balances the checkbook, and cleans and organizes the house, says it's better to buy as needed.

But my heart, which is the part of me that loves to dream, create, and experiment, says it's best to have a HUUUUUGE stash.

So is your head or your heart bigger?
    Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 AM

I have a reasonable stash, but what I like is to purchase a fabric or three to use as my color scheme, and then shop the stash for all the rest - so never buying an entire quilt worth of fabric at one time.
    Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 AM

Over the years, I have added to my stash by purchasing them at LQS, estate sales, garage sales, going out of business store sales and so on at good prices. I have been careful to buy good quality fabrics. A few years ago I started buying neutral fabrics such as blacks, grays, beiges and white on white. Now there is a nice balance between colors and neutrals in my stash. I make it a point to check my stash and to use what I have before getting new fabrics. Now that I am retired, I am grateful for my stash. There is no way I could afford the higher prices! Moral: it is not a bad idea to buy fabrics before retiring,
    Old 06-17-2017, 05:02 AM

I definitely have a LARGE stash and wouldn't know what to do without it, since I'm at least 90 miles(1 way) from the closest fabric store.
    Old 06-17-2017, 05:22 AM

Thank goodness I have a very large stash. Most purchased before the prices skyrocketed out of sight. That being said, I still manage to buy fabric if I like it. I think that I am a Fabriholic and need help.
    Old 06-17-2017, 05:47 AM

I have too much fabric. Way too much ! Last year I ended up going through each of my bins of fabric and sent huge boxes to an Indian Reservation in South Dakota. I kept the fabric I really loved and I still have too much. Right now I think I have way too many jelly rows, fat quarters and charm squares all due to sales I've found that are just too good. Now I have decided to stop buying any fabric at all except for white and snow and black. So in answer to your question: I think its best to just buy for what you need, stash fabric should be the basic solids you find you need.
    Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 AM

I started out thinking I needed a stash, but now I just buy what I need for a project. I always check my stash first and then add to it. I am trying to get my stash down so I'll have more room in my sewing room.
    Old 06-17-2017, 06:22 AM

I have a pretty good sized stash and love most of it. I try to only buy what I cannot find in the stacks, but ya know? Stash gets HUNGRY and needs to be fed! HA! I just went to a Bonnie Hunter lecture so I am back on cutting for her Scrap Users System as I go along. I hope that helps tame the scrap beast a bit. I would like to be a bit more organized so I can put my hand on what I am looking for. I so hate to spin my wheels. Working on paring down the UFO pile too. If I got excited about it before, I can do it again! My on going long arm tension issues seem to have been resolved with a new bobbin winder. ( I really despised the old one, but didn't know it was the root of my tension problems!). I quilted a whole quilt in 2 days last week. Heaven!