Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020

• Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020

Old 01-18-2020, 10:19 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    My happy project to get me through the snowy days!
    This is very pretty!
    Old 01-18-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat
    Well, after a long sleep, a fresh pot of coffee, a John Wayne movie (The Cowboys) and getting a small load of laundry started, I'm in my quilting room waiting for my irons to heat up (I use a full size and a mini-iron).

I am really hoping I can resolve the issues I've got going, I absolutely love the hexagon quilts and I'm able to get the hexies into the flowers without so much as a glitch, but attaching the flowers to the black path, for whatever reason, is proving difficult. I'm changing up my way of putting them on, I'm doing the outer ring of color on the path first, then attaching the smaller flower from there, I'm hoping if I downscale a little, I can get the control I need.

Anybody has any ideas? I'm completely open to suggestions, lol.
    Are you hand stitching or machine stitching the hexagons? I hand stitched mine and just added them as a out side border then joined them to the quilt with the diamonds so they had a wide path.
    Attached Thumbnails imag2403cw.jpg  
    Old 01-18-2020, 10:52 AM

Cleared the drives again this morning, not bad think we only ended up with about 6+ but the wind is wicked out there. Working on the church quilts today getting the binding done on the ones that were tied on Thursday. Then will start the free-motion, the sun is trying to peek so it nice sitting in front of the windows sewing. Thanks for hosting Raggiemom
    Old 01-18-2020, 11:48 AM

Taking a break to rest my eyes and see what y'all are up to. These are the 2-1/2" blocks I have finished so far... only 700 more to go.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dedemac
    Are you hand stitching or machine stitching the hexagons? I hand stitched mine and just added them as a out side border then joined them to the quilt with the diamonds so they had a wide path.
    Oh my goodness, yours is so pretty!! I'm machine stitching mine and think I found the problem last night, this is my first time working with batiks and I'm not used to the different densities. After I starched the black hexies, things have smoothed out.

I do like the idea of using diamonds for the border, been trying to figure out how to finish the top, I just might do that.

Thank you so much!
    Old 01-18-2020, 01:17 PM

That's very pretty Thimblebug!

I took a break after lunch to walk Bubba, then decided it would be a good idea to take a bit of a rest. Then made some sugar cookies from a mix that DH brought home before Christmas mistakenly thinking it would save me time to use that in my cookie press rather than making the traditional spritz cookies. However, I saved more time by not making any this year LOLOL! Anyway, I had two bags of generic sugar cookie mix and generic snickerdoodle mix in the pantry and given it's a cold rainy/snowy day I decided to make one of them. Even though I doctored them up some, they still are rather dull tasting--I think maybe I should turn them into sandwich cookies by putting raspberry jam or homemade marmalade in between....

Back to quilting and tidying up my scrap bucket.

Rob
    Old 01-18-2020, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2
    If you want another border, I'd add it before the piano keys so they are the last border. How large will it be with the piano keys? Is that enough?
    Hmm, it will be about 60x60" with the piano keys. I'm not making it for any particular purpose, so that could do it. Last night I had to cut more strips, and this morning got to finally sew!
    Attached Thumbnails img_20200118_123339.jpg  
    Old 01-18-2020, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric
    Checking in. Working on the back and got carried away. I think this may qualify as a second quilt.
    Love it! May we see when you get done?
    Old 01-18-2020, 02:41 PM

Instead of sewing today, I went out for a ride on my Harley. The front came through , blew away the rain, fog & gray skies. I've been stressed due to selling my house, trying to buy another, & esp by the packing. So, with temps in the mid 60's & a sunny sky, I rode to help relieve my stress. It has helped. I may continue quilting on my red & pink quilt tonight.
    Old 01-18-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat
    Oh my goodness, yours is so pretty!! I'm machine stitching mine and think I found the problem last night, this is my first time working with batiks and I'm not used to the different densities. After I starched the black hexies, things have smoothed out.

I do like the idea of using diamonds for the border, been trying to figure out how to finish the top, I just might do that.

Thank you so much!
    Thank you, I am finishing up a UFO that was passed to me from my husbands grandmother, she did all the actual flowers. I did all the black and green and we are calling it the Memory walk GFG. I am adding units to the sides so I can square it up, I don't like the uneven edges.

Originally Posted by Cheshirepat
    Hmm, it will be about 60x60" with the piano keys. I'm not making it for any particular purpose, so that could do it. Last night I had to cut more strips, and this morning got to finally sew!
    Cheshirepat - Love the fabrics (We have Emojis Back!!!) I have a lot of them in my stash!