Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >
  • Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

• Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 AM

Are you speaking about Rainbow's End? My sister lives near there and only goes there when she cannot possibly find what she wants someplace else.
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 AM

Absolutely. There is a store here in town that is hit and miss. Sometimes they are super friendly and other times they leave you alone and even are snotty when you ask a question. It depends who is working that day. I still go there, because they have what I need, but I always wonder what type of reception I will get.

We took a trip through Montana last summer and my husband took me to ever quilt shop we could find. I have to say Montana quilt shops were the friendliest I have ever found.
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 AM

My sister and I were there over Christmas and they were great.
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 AM

We have one of those here in Huntsville..... I don't go anymore than I have too...
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgodess
    I went to a shop in Kerrvile, Texas and I might as well been invisible, No one greeted me or spoke to me. No money spent there. In contrast I went to a shop in Sedona, where the clerk was friendly and helpful. Bought plenty. Thankful that I was travelling in an RV and not flying.
    I hope that you give the Kerrville shop another try if you're back in the Hill Country again ... if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a never-miss stop for us. The staff has always been Texas-friendly and helpful - always a treat to go there :)
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 AM

I tried one shop two times because of their selection and BOTH times was completely ignored. They made me feel invisible...have never gone back.
    Originally Posted by Scraps
    Four of us gals drove 2 hrs each way today to go to the largest quilt shop in Florida! 20,000 bolts of fabric and 700 books, etc. etc. Fabric choices were abundant - displayed well - clean shop, but the most unfriendly women working there we couldn't believe it. We didn't know how to react!!!! Next week we are taking our money to a friendly shop!
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Hi to all, I have been to one of them--guess what-they are now closed----and I think that was part of the problem
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM

I always received warm, friendly service at Kechi Quilt Shop in Kansas and Praire Quilts in Wichita, KS. I moved from there in 1998. Near Chicago, Quilter's Destination in Arlington Heights is always friendly, whereas a different sewing machine dealer in Arlington Heights is all about the sale and barely friendly during that! Actually, I never got the snotty reception until I started following a religious dress code, so I thought it was due to that, but with all these posts, must not be! Kinda relieved, actually. When we travel far to visit shops, it's hard to leave with nothing, but I bet they don't realize that we spent less than we otherwise would have. And the online retailers have always been friendly to me, during any interaction outside the order, so if the LQS wants our business, then maybe a little reform is in order.
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by mswordwiz
    There is a shop local to me where the ladies who work there are stand offish. I thought it was because I was at the time a new quilter. After the same experience 3 times, I found a quilt shop that is fantastic 1/2 a mile away from them!
    We have one LQS that is neither warm or helpful - fortunately there are 3 others within 15 mi. and more beyond that. A number of us called the owner & let her know about our experiences, but apparently nothing has changed (so I hear- I haven't been back) I'm amazed the shop is still in business. I prefer to spend my $$ elsewhere. In my book, it's 3 strikes and you're OUT !!!
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Having taught Total Quality Management and Customer Service classes for a few years ago I found it to be true that: When we have a bad experience we will tell everyone, when we have a good experience we might tell one or two if anyone. The only way we can improve customer service in this country is by telling the ones that give us bad service. This is true for LQS, restaurant or any other business we deal with. I was visiting a LQS last month as my DW and I was traveling and ask about a local restaurant for lunch. I was told about a place just around the corner. We had lunch there and it was bad ill prepared just not a pleasant lunch. The waitress ask about our meals and told her it was not good. When we went to pay we were ask about our meal. My DW said I am glad you ask and we both explained what was wrong the manager (owner) said there would be no charge. I did expect that but I would think things would improve. I have also ask for a manager and told him how good his staff was. So it works both ways. Let us all work to improve customer service. If I do something wrong tell me if I do something right tell everyone. Just my thoughts.