Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Accurate 1/4" seams - no costly tools! >
  • Accurate 1/4" seams - no costly tools!

• Accurate 1/4" seams - no costly tools!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks! I've added this trick to my favorites list for future reference.
    Old 03-23-2011, 01:01 PM

Thank you so-oo much for that info. I will try it. :D
    Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM

I have a piece of moleskin (like sticky-backed felt, made by Dr Scholls and sold with the foot care stuff) lined up just perfectly so that I butt my fabric edges against it and then I get a perfect 1/4" seam when I sew. I put my needle down and foot up then put a Quilter's Quarter in place to measure the 1/4"....and then stuck down the moleskin. It's been in place for years and years....and the pack has enough in it that I was able to share with lots of quilting buddies!
    Old 03-23-2011, 01:50 PM

I have this done also but for some reason when I sew it is like trying to keep a car on the road that wants to keep pulling to the left or right. I finally had my husband fix the foot pedal so I can't go very fast and I keep my eye on the begining edge to the machine as I was told you have to start back here keeping it in the right place. I am not always successful. I can't seem to sew straight. I keep trying though.
    Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by sheliab12
    I have this done also but for some reason when I sew it is like trying to keep a car on the road that wants to keep pulling to the left or right. I finally had my husband fix the foot pedal so I can't go very fast and I keep my eye on the begining edge to the machine as I was told you have to start back here keeping it in the right place. I am not always successful. I can't seem to sew straight. I keep trying though.
    teacherbailey suggested using mole skin

"moleskin (like sticky-backed felt, made by Dr Scholls and sold with the foot care stuff) lined up just perfectly so that I butt my fabric edges against it and then I get a perfect 1/4"

Try that! don't give up..i find with new quilters, and the 1/4" being off..it is on the money at the start or a little wider than 1/4" and gets really loose at the end of sewing..because they tend to let go of the fabric..so the fabric twists to the left..
    hang in there!
    Old 03-23-2011, 04:33 PM

IF your machine's feed dogs are NOT wider than the regular presser foot you use ----

My feed dogs are wider and I have a top loading bobbin so the 'guide' has to be moved whenever I replace the bobbin. So, I bought a 1/4 foot with a guide on it and move my needle .5 to the right which still clears the hole in the foot.

For older machines that are made of metal, they still make magnetic seam guides and they work GREAT!!! This is what I learned to piece with.

On a side note: I make 'Ashes Bags' for creamated remains to be placed in and then buried. They are 100% linen with 100% cotton thread and trim so they will eventually return to the elements.

It was designed from box dimensions and I used blue painter's tape and drew a permanent line on the tape so I could stitch my draw string enclosures a perfect 1.5" (I think?) from the top of the bag.

When I took the machine in for routine maintenance the repair technician 'kindly' TOOK THE TAPE OFF!!!!

I make these on an as needed basis and I have no idea exactly how far out the mark was. And, of course, the bags are in the ground now!

I will now have to re-figure my design. Should have written it down!!!!
    Old 03-23-2011, 05:06 PM

I have used a thick (about 7 layers) piece of masking tape instead of the post it. I use a utility knife to slice through the width of the roll then place it i/4 inch from the needle in front of the presser foot. My tape is about 4 inches long, i/2 inch wide. The fabric rides along the edge of the tape on its way toward the needle. Keeps the seam straight.
    Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Bless you!
    Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM

thank you for the tip
    Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 PM

thank you jan for the good tip never throught of using a rubber band for sticky notes