Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue >
  • Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue

• Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue

Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM

couldn't the glue be thinned with water, put into a spray bottle and used that way? I just thought of that. I just bought a small bottle of the stuff myself to learn how to baste with it.
    Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 AM

JanTx: I use the spray also, and to get around the overspray issue, I bought 2 huge thin vinyl tablecloths that I cover my working surface with. I put the can a little closer to the batting when I'm at the edges to decrease the overspray. I can simply wash the tablecloths with a hose out in the yard when they get too sticky....They cost $.75 each so sometimes I just throw them out and buy replacements! They are 108 X whatever (75??) so it's plenty big using two.
    Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CGee
    This is a great tip! I wonder if it works with other battings, esp. polyester?
    I have used polyester also and it worked also - I used a bit more glue as the glue seeped into more holes in the poly vs the cotton battings.
    Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by gingerella
    couldn't the glue be thinned with water, put into a spray bottle and used that way? I just thought of that. I just bought a small bottle of the stuff myself to learn how to baste with it.

I tried a spray bottle and didn't like how it was so hard to get it to spray, I do thin the glue a bit in the regular bottles with water. Good luck!
    Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 AM

The last quilt I glue basted had visible dried glue spots from the front - a lot of white was in the top. When it was finished I threw it in the washer and no problems afterwards.
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM

I do not wash my quilts when I get done with them, so not sure if this would work. I tried the glue on a wallhanging which I do not plan to wash either and there are hard spots where I had put the glue, so think that is what would happen on a quilt too. Any suggestions?
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by JudyMcLeod
    I do not wash my quilts when I get done with them, so not sure if this would work. I tried the glue on a wallhanging which I do not plan to wash either and there are hard spots where I had put the glue, so think that is what would happen on a quilt too. Any suggestions?
    It definitely needs to be washed after using this technique.
    Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM

I used this method on my last quilt, but my lines were probably twice as far apart and it still worked like a charm. Then used the glue for my binding as well. I had a few thicker glue areas, but didn't have any problems whatsoever with it gumming up my needle and once I finished it and washed it, all the glue came right out. Another thing...I don't have a ping pong table - just a 6' folding banquet-type table - and glue basted it in sections, letting it dry for about an hour in between sections. Again, not a problem. And because I basted this just before Christmas, things got busy and I folded up the quilt after I glued it and it set for about a month before I got it out to quilt it. Not a thing moved! I'm never going back to thread or pin basting!
    Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 AM

I am giving this a try! Thanks for taking the time to do the tutorial and updates.
    Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the tutorial