Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Fabric covered needlework box >
  • Fabric covered needlework box

• Fabric covered needlework box

Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 PM
    Power Poster

Me???....Moi????? Did I say I had started one???? I do soo want to do one. I don't have any mat board here...hmmm....wonder if shoe box cardboard will work?
    Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Me???....Moi????? Did I say I had started one???? I do soo want to do one. I don't have any mat board here...hmmm....wonder if shoe box cardboard will work?
    If that's all I had, and I really wanted to make a box, then I would make the shoe box work. For the top, I would stick two same size hex's together for strength, I think the brim would probably be OK in single thickness, and all other parts have two pieces of fabric covered card stuck together, back to back. Ball in your court Patti.
    Old 12-02-2009, 03:28 PM

I used a piece of cardboard that came with a parcel. I spied also the ideal thing, I think, the large boxes used for Soap Powders. I am sure they would work great.
    Old 12-02-2009, 03:48 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    I used a piece of cardboard that came with a parcel. I spied also the ideal thing, I think, the large boxes used for Soap Powders. I am sure they would work great.
    I don't see why not, Elle, the large soap box card is quite sturdy, though it might perfume your needlework box for a little while, so pick one you like the smell of.
    Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 AM

I used a piece of cardboard that came with a parcel. I spied also the ideal thing, I think, the large boxes used for Soap Powders. I am sure they would work great.[/quote]

I don't see why not, Elle, the large soap box card is quite sturdy, though it might perfume your needlework box for a little while, so pick one you like the smell of.[/quote]

Ooops didnīt think of that will go and have a smell lol
    Old 12-03-2009, 05:00 AM

You are a Saint! This is much better than what I have found. God Bless You. Thank you
    Old 12-03-2009, 10:08 AM
    Power Poster

If finding a sturdy card has been the problem, then looking at non corrugated card boxes might be an alternative. Well done Elle for your suggestion. Cerial packet card as sold here in Ireland wouldn't be thick enough, but if that is all you can get, then glueing two or even three layers together would do the trick - just don't OD on cerial!
    Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Well I have shoes scattered around without box lids and soapboxes about to be emptied as soon as, but who cares coz TA DAH here is my finished box.

Really enjoyed doing this one for ME, but will make more for gifts as I felt I was back at playschool with all the glue and mess I made lol
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-42151.jpe   attachment-42242.jpe  
    Old 12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
    Power Poster

WOW, Elle (Claps hands with delight) A huge Well Done to you, you made a great job of that lovely box. You are such a clever lady. Did you have any problems or glitches. or did it go together reasonably well? I am absolutely delighted with something you have done, for the second time in a week. You have made my day yet again, so thank you for that.
    Old 12-04-2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks Lesley, I did have a glitch, but only of my own making had a read it thoroughly. I managed to glue the box lid and top of the lid together before I put on the corner pieces for the lid. But heh it doesnīt look any the worse for that.

Other than that it went together really well and made up fast, I loved the fact that there was very little sewing and a lot of glueing and me getting in a mess with cardboards strewn around, good fun and I needed that.

Elle