Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • How to make the Northern Lights quilt >
  • How to make the Northern Lights quilt

• How to make the Northern Lights quilt

Old 05-26-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by omak
    I think one of the things you did was to give us a heads up by posting a link to the next tutorial on the last one you did, if I remember correctly.
    It was so cool!
    I was watching this beautiful bargello and the finale and then you started the next one and linked from the bargello to this one! I was able to just click on that link and click on "watch" and when you got to all the work, I got the notifications - - such a big help and encouragement.

Something I was thinking about <g> Cutebuns did a mystery quilt in a day ... I can't remember how many of us there were, but she was right there to post pictures on the hour, and then she answered any questions ... what an amazing process.
    I may have to post that link so that you can go from here to there ... what made me think about her mystery quilt was this tutorial reminded me of a mystery quilt.
    It is quite a challenge for the "audience" to do something besides just read the pages and look at the pictures! LOL
    at any rate .... either way, you are creating a beautiful quilt and are such an encouragement to the rest of us <wave>
    Omak,
    I'm blushing. I don't know what to say. That is soooo sweet of you to say. I knew alot of people were watching and I was asked what I'd do next, etc. so I decided to let everyone know. I didn't know if people would actually use the link, but I figured a few would, and the link would make it easier.

I would love to see the link to Cutebuns Mystery Quilt. That sounds interesting. Thank you again for the wonderful compliments, interest and comments. I really appreciate your writing to me.
    Marilyn
    Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 AM

I'm an 'old fogie'!!!! I remember when, not too many years ago, when my youngest daughter was in college and took me to the computer lab and showed me how to look up patterns of all kinds on the computer. Then she got a computer, and got on e-mail and talked to other college kids. I thought 'that's nice, it's a college thing.' Then our older adult children got computers too and I thought 'that's nice, it will help keep them connected.' Then she got US on the computer too. When she got a job and went away to work and didn't need the computer, it was left for us to use for e-mail. We slowly got into other things on the computer, and are lost without one!!! I found out that 'computers are for kids of all ages!' Even those of us with gray or white hair. How far my thinking has come in such a short amount of time!
    Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by omak
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24486-1.htm

This is the mystery quilt I was talking about - - a mini by cutebuns...<wave>
    will the link work from here? Or did you find my posting about one space above what you were talking about <g>

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24486-1.htm

Do you know what all I have done in the meantime and thought HEY! Maybe, since I copied and pasted, the address will still be in the paste place, and sure enough! Here it is! <wave>
    Old 05-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
    I'm an 'old fogie'!!!! I remember when, not too many years ago, when my youngest daughter was in college and took me to the computer lab and showed me how to look up patterns of all kinds on the computer. Then she got a computer, and got on e-mail and talked to other college kids. I thought 'that's nice, it's a college thing.' Then our older adult children got computers too and I thought 'that's nice, it will help keep them connected.' Then she got US on the computer too. When she got a job and went away to work and didn't need the computer, it was left for us to use for e-mail. We slowly got into other things on the computer, and are lost without one!!! I found out that 'computers are for kids of all ages!' Even those of us with gray or white hair. How far my thinking has come in such a short amount of time!
    I know what you mean. I said from the get-go that the computer would steal our minds - - and, every time hubby reformats the hard drive - - all of my ideas go away ...
    Now we have Carbonite, so that isn't an issue ... but, I really enjoy the company I find on the net for the most part, and it is a handy tool.
    If the pseudos ever get their way and we go back to living in caves with whale fat for lanterns, I will recall these days fondly.
    Speaking of which! I heard someone say today that China and other nations are getting involved with wind power and alternative methods of energy production ...
    I would just like to point out that China is ALSO drilling for oil ... in other words, they are not looking to replace current energy sources, they are looking for ways to gain ADDITIONAL energy ... (just a little teaching moment there <g>) <wave>
    Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 AM

I can totally relate to that. My MIL bought each of her 3 children computers, as none of us had one but she did and loved it. I had never had any computer experience, and I wouldn't touch it for the first couple of weeks we had it. That was in 2002. I was afraid that I'd do something wrong and break it! Really!
    I finally got up my nerve and started messing around with it, then decided I really liked the "surfing" thing, checking everything out, and I went to town on it. I bought books on how to use it and everything. I studied from books and took some free classes on the internet like for Microsoft Word, and I got pretty good at the basic stuff. I still can't do a lot lot of complicated things, but I use the computer ALL THE TIME!!!
    It's my way of 'staying connected". Now, I couldn't live without my computer.....Or my digital camera! I asked my DH one day when I couldn't get my camera to download pictures,
    "Have you ever felt like you can't talk without pictures? How am I going to talk to my daughter without pictures?" He just laughed and laughed. I freely admit it now, I am addicted to
    1) Quilting 2) My computer and 3) My digital camera.

I better get off here. I still have work to do.
    Talk to you all later.
    Marilyn
    Old 05-26-2010, 11:59 AM

I can totally relate to that. My MIL bought each of her 3 children computers, as none of us had one but she did and loved it. I had never had any computer experience, and I wouldn't touch it for the first couple of weeks we had it. That was in 2002. I was afraid that I'd do something wrong and break it! Really!
    I finally got up my nerve and started messing around with it, then decided I really liked the "surfing" thing, checking everything out, and I went to town on it. I bought books on how to use it and everything. I studied from books and took some free classes on the internet like for Microsoft Word, and I got pretty good at the basic stuff. I still can't do a lot lot of complicated things, but I use the computer ALL THE TIME!!!
    It's my way of 'staying connected". Now, I couldn't live without my computer.....Or my digital camera! I asked my DH one day when I couldn't get my camera to download pictures,
    "Have you ever felt like you can't talk without pictures? How am I going to talk to my daughter without pictures?" He just laughed and laughed. I freely admit it now, I am addicted to
    1) Quilting 2) My computer and 3) My digital camera.

I better get off here. I still have work to do.
    Talk to you all later.
    Marilyn

PS---I have decided that today must be "Be Nice to Marilyn Day!" I have had more PM's and emails and messages posted to me than anyone would believe!!!! I am amazed and just overwhelmed! Thank you everybody for the wonderful, generous, compliments and comments. I feel like a princess!
    Sincerely,
    Marilyn
    Old 05-26-2010, 08:02 PM
    Banned

you do such beautiful work. thank you. Penny
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:51 AM
    Google Goddess

awesome, thanks for the tutorial!
    Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 AM

Hello everybody. There will be a slight delay on the pictures of the setting block construction. If you are also following the post on "The start of another quilt" where I started making this, you will see that I have finished the 6th star block. That gave me 2 more stars so I could make the Chain block to show you. But....(There is almost always a but...) BTW, here's the link to it if you need it:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46701-1.htm

On the pattern it just says to make 15 Star blocks, then lay them out in the pattern you want, then make the Chain blocks to fill it in. OK. Here is my problem. See in the picture below, how I've already got 2 greens in the chain block. Well, if I put the 5th and 6th stars together, then I'm going to have 2 blues in the next chain setting block.
    I would prefer to have 4 different colors there. So, I am making a 7th star to use and will use 6 somewhere else.

I am going to have to make mine a little different than the pattern, (besides not using the templates that came with it or using the parallelograms). If I just make 15 stars, chances are that alot or all of the setting blocks will contain the same color at least twice, like my first one. I am going to make my stars a couple at a time and then the setting block, so I know what colors are already used in the setting block. I hope that makes sense. This will enable me to pre-determine my colors to use, so I don't have too much of one color.

So, I'm about half way done with my 7th and then I'll post it. The second picture shows blocks 5 and 6 and you can see why they don't work for me.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. Hope this helps you if you prefer not to have 2 of the same color in your setting blocks either. Just something to think about.
    Marilyn

My first Setting Block, which has 2 green colors in it. I prefer to make the rest with 4 different colors in the setting block.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]74402[/ATTACH]

As you can see in the picture above, it's the color in the corner 4 patch with the Navy, that will continue the pattern into the setting block. So, when I got to "paying attention", I realized that blocks 5 and 6 have blues in that position. I prefer to have 4 different colors in my setting blocks, so I'll finish #7 and then make the setting block to show you all.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]74403[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-74397.jpe   attachment-74398.jpe  
    Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM

oh, my! wish I knew how to help, but I sure do like your colors and can appreciate what you are doing with those alternating blocks ... as always, your color choices are BOLD and beautiful! <wave> I really like a quilt that has SUBSTANCE! :thumbup: