Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Paper Piecing illustrations >
  • Paper Piecing illustrations

• Paper Piecing illustrations

Old 08-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Thank you Yvonne, these are as good as the ones in Ms. Doak's book which I learned from.

As i have said before, if you had someone who knew paper piecing standing next to you, it's about 15 minutes to learn. It's the descriptions that are difficult. You done good on straightening out some confusing thoughts.

tim
    Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Thank you Yvonne, these are as good as the ones in Ms. Doak's book which I learned from.

As i have said before, if you had someone who knew paper piecing standing next to you, it's about 15 minutes to learn. It's the descriptions that are difficult. You done good on straightening out some confusing thoughts.

tim
    The 31 years of teaching first grade have paid off! I only know words of one and two syllables. :lol:
    Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 PM

The better for us to understand my dear. Otherwise if you could see our faces we might have a confused looked. I wish I'd seen this pp thread before my first attempt. But I muddled through between reading about it and talking to friends at quilt group. I think I was mostly just afraid to try. Turned out good though.
    Old 08-29-2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks for all the time it took to demo this. I have been paper piecing for a year now and just love it. I wish someone had shown that to me the way you just did. It's funny how I kept cutting off the wrong piece.
    Donna
    Old 08-29-2007, 01:58 PM

Donna,
    Thanks for the smile. I have done that very same thing! Cut off the wrong piece and of course, sewn on a fabric piece that was big enough but just not at the angle it was added. I have become very adept at seam ripping with my small rotary cutter. Pretty fast at it actually! :mrgreen: Just don't let any fingers get in my way :!:
    Happy PP.
    Old 08-31-2007, 11:09 PM

Hi ya!
    I've never done this and I don't really understand the point of it, so bear with me here...First do these patterns come with all the paper squre designs a person needs to do an entire quilt? Second, why would you do this instead of just cutting your squares and triangles and sewing them together like what seems normal to me?
    Cheryl
    Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by mfre42day
    Hi ya!
    I've never done this and I don't really understand the point of it, so bear with me here...First do these patterns come with all the paper squre designs a person needs to do an entire quilt? Second, why would you do this instead of just cutting your squares and triangles and sewing them together like what seems normal to me?
    Cheryl
    Hi, I'll try and answer your questions.

The patterns I have used are for a block. You can include them in a quilt or reproduce them many times to create a quilt. Or combine different ones to create a pattern like storm at sea for example.

There are many reasons I use paper piecing, but mainly because they are shapes that are not typical (like squares or triangles). They can be quite detailed, for example I have done fairly ornate flowers, a santa face. a bumble bee etc... Another reason is that it is a great way to be perfectly accurate, the paper stabilizes the fabric, even when sewing on the bias for example a mariners compass, which is my next project, another reason is every block is identical.

I'm sure lots of other people can explain this better, or even give more reasons.
    Old 09-01-2007, 03:13 AM
    Administrator

check out some of these links. you'll soon see that paper piecing is the best way to achieve some pretty neat stuff. AND if you make teeny tiny blocks like yvonne does, pp comes in handy for the standard shapes, too. for me, anyway. the smaller the pieces, the harder it is for me to be really accurate. go figure.

http://piecebynumber.com/pastbom/archbom.htm#pansy

http://www.yvonnes.dk/patternsflowers.htm
    Old 09-01-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mfre42day
    Hi ya!
    Cheryl
    Amma posted this link in another thread for Steve, check out some of the blocks that can be done with paper piecing:

http://piecebynumber.com/pastbom/archbom.htm#bamboo
    Old 09-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Once again thanks, I may give this a shot this weekend just for the experience and to know I can do it. Do you just use the computer paper and where do I get the square pattern from?