Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Helpful tools for both longarm and standard machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/helpful-tools-both-longarm-standard-machine-quilting-t161849.html)

Lucky Lady 10-20-2011 07:33 AM

Thanks for the great tips!!

QuiltnNan 10-20-2011 08:08 AM

thanks for the tips

Rose L 10-20-2011 09:23 AM

What a great thread! Thanks for starting it. I'm going to look for an eyebrow trimmer, it looks very handy. I'm also going to look for the General's pastel pencils. I had never given those a thought but I'm sure they'd be wonderful for marking quilt tops rather than using the expensive marking pens. Thanks so much for sharing your tips.

My tip: For keeping track of small tools while sewing I use a mechanics bolt tray, a small metal bowl that's available at the auto parts store. It is magnetized and will sit nicely on top of a metal sewing machine and/or it's heavy enough to not slide around much on your sewing table. I toss my threaded needles, seam ripper, small scissors, awl and few pins in mine so they are right there and handy to grab. It keeps things from getting lost under the layers that seem to accumulate when sewing. An added bonus it that it will magnetize the tools you put in it so you can just grab a scissor and run it over the floor to pick up stray pins that you've dropped.

debcavan 10-20-2011 11:07 AM

And on some rollers, it will stay for ease in reaching pins while pinning your quilt on the rollers. I actually have one for each type of pin that I use.

Originally Posted by Rose L
What a great thread! Thanks for starting it. I'm going to look for an eyebrow trimmer, it looks very handy. I'm also going to look for the General's pastel pencils. I had never given those a thought but I'm sure they'd be wonderful for marking quilt tops rather than using the expensive marking pens. Thanks so much for sharing your tips.

My tip: For keeping track of small tools while sewing I use a mechanics bolt tray, a small metal bowl that's available at the auto parts store. It is magnetized and will sit nicely on top of a metal sewing machine and/or it's heavy enough to not slide around much on your sewing table. I toss my threaded needles, seam ripper, small scissors, awl and few pins in mine so they are right there and handy to grab. It keeps things from getting lost under the layers that seem to accumulate when sewing. An added bonus it that it will magnetize the tools you put in it so you can just grab a scissor and run it over the floor to pick up stray pins that you've dropped.

Jim's Gem 10-20-2011 02:35 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Rainy Day 10-20-2011 02:48 PM

Great tips - thanks Deb

Glassquilt 10-20-2011 08:19 PM

Nice ideas, thanks

chatonne40 10-21-2011 03:59 AM

Great tips Thank you!

Caswews 10-21-2011 04:53 AM

Thanks for the tips !

Tweety2911 10-21-2011 04:56 AM

Thanks so much for sharing these valuable tips!