Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   How to Make an Easy Patchwork Jacket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-make-easy-patchwork-jacket-t48923.html)

sewwhat41 06-30-2010 07:30 AM

Thanks for the 'tute'... think I'll try this using some lighthouse fabric I have as the focal fabric. Will have to watch the direction I place the lighthouses . :lol:

PghPat 06-30-2010 08:34 AM

I guess I'm confused about the empty spots -but you must know I am blonde - is that a good enough excuse - LOL?

In one of the posts you mention you never do the zig zag over another seam. But on the picture where I see blank spots I wouldn't know how to sew a patch without sewing over another seam.

Am I making sense? Please help!

UglyCook 06-30-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by PghPat
I guess I'm confused about the empty spots -but you must know I am blonde - is that a good enough excuse - LOL?

In one of the posts you mention you never do the zig zag over another seam. But on the picture where I see blank spots I wouldn't know how to sew a patch without sewing over another seam.

Am I making sense? Please help!

I'm not sure where you thought you saw that, I zig zag over seams all the time! LOL I do cover the entire sweatshirt, but you don't have to. I did stop sewing the uncovered edges as I realized that they generally ended up being covered by the next batch of pieces I put on, but I still did a lot of "sewing over the seams".

PghPat 07-02-2010 03:56 AM

Sorry UglyCook - it was Brendadawg that mentioned not sewing over stitching - on page 4 - that had me confused with the picture of your jacket.

I'm a newer than new quilter and am just such a scaredy cat when it comes to trying something new but I keep telling myself - what have I got to loose besides an old sweatshirt - LOL!

I'm going to get brave and try it SOON. I wish a lot of these people would share some of thier pictures of jackets they've done.

piepatch 07-02-2010 06:04 AM

Thanks for the tutorial. It is very helpful and easy to understand.

UglyCook 07-02-2010 08:07 AM

I'm a newer than new quilter and am just such a scaredy cat when it comes to trying something new but I keep telling myself - what have I got to loose besides an old sweatshirt - LOL!

I'm going to get brave and try it SOON. I wish a lot of these people would share some of thier pictures of jackets they've done.

Are you sure you are newer than me? I just started in March!

PghPat 07-02-2010 10:30 AM

That might be a tie breaker Ugly Cook - I started in March also. But you do seem much more experienced than I do. I really didn't do much machine sewing at all - haven't touched a sewing machine in over 40 years - until March.

Sometimes I think I need to give up - I just make the dumbest mistakes. One thing turns out okay and then the next is a disaster. I want to keep trying tho.

When I get the courage I WILL do a sweatshirt jacket like yours.

Thanks for the postings.

UglyCook 07-02-2010 10:32 AM

That might be a tie breaker Ugly Cook - I started in March also. But you do seem much more experienced than I do. I really didn't do much machine sewing at all - haven't touched a sewing machine in over 40 years - until March.

Sometimes I think I need to give up - I just make the dumbest mistakes. One thing turns out okay and then the next is a disaster. I want to keep trying tho.

When I get the courage I WILL do a sweatshirt jacket like yours.

Thanks for the postings.

I "unsew" about as much as I sew. Never thought I'd get so good at ripping out! LOL I tend to jump in headfirst and worry about reading the directions later. Today, I am practicing free motion quilting. I may need to find some directions soon!

PghPat 07-02-2010 05:28 PM

Ugly Cook - when you got the blue fabric for your sweatshirt - approximately how much of each fabric did you get. I really liked the one you made - was it for your mom - the brown tones.

If your like I am, being new, I haven't accumulated a "stash" yet and when I want to make something I buy the fabric for that item.

Thanks! Pat

UglyCook 07-02-2010 06:06 PM

Ugly Cook - when you got the blue fabric for your sweatshirt - approximately how much of each fabric did you get. I really liked the one you made - was it for your mom - the brown tones.

If your like I am, being new, I haven't accumulated a "stash" yet and when I want to make something I buy the fabric for that item.

Thanks! Pat

I think third of a yard would be plenty, depending on how many different fabrics you used. I find that 5 is really the minimum that works well. You might get away with a quarter, but it could get close.