Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   The Mystery of the Scant 1/4". (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/mystery-scant-1-4%22-t150279.html)

fabric_fancy 09-05-2011 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Originally Posted by american homestead
My first advice would be to get

a 1/4" seam allowance foot for

your machine. This will help with

your accuracy and it just makes it

so much easier. The photo above

is the foot for my machine, I love

the fabric guide on the bottom right,

it makes it sooo easy. These days,

you can get a 1/4" seam foot for all

sorts of machines, even older models.

I must be the only one who doesn't like that guide on the quarter inch foot - I have both, and never use the one with the guide. I prefer to eyeball the 'scant' part, even though I can move the needle over if I wanted.

I don't know why manufacturers don't make a 'scant' foot - all they need to do is to file off a tad - if not, why don't quilters get their DH's to do it for them?

you're not the only one, i hate the foot with the guide.

the old singer 1/4 foot are great for the scant seam

luana 09-05-2011 03:41 AM

I don't like the foot because you really can't see if the fabric is up against the guide. I don't like to move my needle over because then I can't use the single hole needle plate. So I use my eyes.

mhollifiel 09-05-2011 04:32 AM

I have two 1/4" feet almost identical. One has the little guide and the other doesn't. I wish I had never bought the one with the guide. I think I subconsciously put my fabric up against the guide and it results in a "chubby" 1/4 seam rather than the scant that is just perfect. I wouldn't have known about this tendency had I not had both feet so live and learn I guess. My guideless foot works just perfect but I would caution anyone about repositioning the needle on some 1/4 feet. Mine doesn't allow repositioning needle so don't find this out the hard way with a broken needle. Don't ask how I know!

duckydo 09-05-2011 05:07 AM

wonder why someone has not come up with a 1/4" scant foot for the sewing machine? LOL

quilter41 09-05-2011 05:15 AM

Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks....

DMotyl 09-05-2011 05:23 AM

Leslie said "I don't know why manufacturers don't make a 'scant' foot - all they need to do is to file off a tad - if not, why don't quilters get their DH's to do it for them?"

I have a great 1/4" foot but may decide to sand off a bit of the outside edge so I can always have that scant seam. As a new quilter I am not ready for those super blocks with LOTS of seams, but they may be in my future. Thanks for the tip Leslie.

Darlene516 09-05-2011 05:25 AM

Since a scant 1/4" is so important why can't some enterprising machine co. develop one? They'd make a fortune.

DMotyl 09-05-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by RUSewing
I love my 1/4" foot and had to adjust it slightly for the scant 1/4". Now my blocks come out the same size and I wouldn't be ashamed to swap them. Kudos to the inventor :)!

What company did you use for your foot?

deirdre 09-05-2011 05:33 AM

I am so glad that I found this board! This was an awesome subject, especially for a new quilter like me!

GemState 09-05-2011 05:42 AM

It really isn't the seam that you want to measure, but the 'right side' of the fabric after it is sewn. You can have a perfect scant 1/4" seam, but if the two pieces don't measure correctly after pressing your seam needs to be adjusted.