Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Quilt As You Go that Deb uses (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quilt-you-go-deb-uses-t52698.html)

Texas Yankee 07-06-2010 05:58 PM

I use a similar method.I discovered it many years ago from a book by Georgia Bonesteele, Lap Quilting. She has several books out on this method of lap quilting/quilt as you go. Works great - no big frame to set up, or having to send it off to a long arm quilter.

JanieW 07-06-2010 06:00 PM

Deb,
Thanks for this tutorial. Well done. I have a dumb question about binding it.

Wouldn't you bind the outer edges the same way you did the sashings between the blocks? The way I see it, there will be a 1" border of backing around the entire quilt once all the rows are assembled that can be folded over and top stitched around.

I hope this makes sense.
Janie

sueisallaboutquilts 07-06-2010 06:07 PM

Deb, thanks so much for the great tutorial!!! I do much better when I can see what's going on with the directions :)
Thanks again!! Sue

Deb watkins 07-06-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW
Deb,
Thanks for this tutorial. Well done. I have a dumb question about binding it.

Wouldn't you bind the outer edges the same way you did the sashings between the blocks? The way I see it, there will be a 1" border of backing around the entire quilt once all the rows are assembled that can be folded over and top stitched around.

I hope this makes sense.
Janie

I can sew what you are saying, and it would be a continuation of what has already been done with the inner pieces and an easy way to end the quilt instead of trimming off the outer edged and attaching a different binding strip. Gee, Janie, thanks for YOUR tip!

gramblue 07-06-2010 06:18 PM

Janie...........you make perfect sense. Yes, you will have that extra inch hanging out all around the quilt. Just take it and fold it over the edge to the top and stitch. This technique does look nice all turned and topstitched. And, yes, you can use some of the decorative stitches on your machine, but the topstitching is the neatest (I think).
Patty

JanieW 07-06-2010 06:40 PM

You're welcome, Deb. I am keen to try this, you have inspired me to add one more project, cause I don't have enough to do yet . :D

JanieW 07-06-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by gramblue
Janie...........you make perfect sense. Yes, you will have that extra inch hanging out all around the quilt. Just take it and fold it over the edge to the top and stitch. This technique does look nice all turned and topstitched. And, yes, you can use some of the decorative stitches on your machine, but the topstitching is the neatest (I think).
Patty

Patty,
It's not often anyone tells me I make sense, let alone "perfect" sense, so you made my day! :mrgreen:

wvdek 07-06-2010 07:18 PM

Thanks for the tute Deb.

Calico Grammy 07-06-2010 07:39 PM

Will give it a try! Looking forward to seeing more of your pictures! Thanks!!!

Rose D 07-06-2010 10:18 PM

Deb, thank you for the tutorial. I have been hesitant to try actual quilting - I've only done a couple small projects but this looks like something I could handle. Your directions and photos really helped me to "see" the process. I can't wait to see more pictures when you are done with the project.