Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Star Point Blocks lessons -and Ask Rhonda >
  • Star Point Blocks lessons -and Ask Rhonda

• Star Point Blocks lessons -and Ask Rhonda

Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 PM
    Power Poster

Repeat trimming any scraps big enough to use. Now join the pieces together again just like you did for the 1 1/2". You may have to add another scrap if one of the three scraps needed are too small to reuse.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-24044.jpe  
    Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
    Power Poster

So now cut out a 1 1/4" square. Then recycle the leftovers again.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-23962.jpe  
    Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 PM
    Power Poster

Here are the scraps I had left over after cutting a 1 1/2" and a 1 1/4" block.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-24986.jpe  
    Old 08-14-2009, 02:04 PM
    Power Poster

I took the red and the navy and trimmed them to reuse. Then I added another scrap of the center fabric. The one from the joined fabrics was too small to reuse.

Then I cut out a 1" square from the joined fabrics.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-24046.jpe  
    Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
    Power Poster

Here is what I made and what scraps I had left. I like to make my swatches larger to begin with so I can make more blocks with the same swatches. Saves time and effort.
    As you can see I don't have much left by the time I am done. In my opinion the ease of the process and getting blocks that you did not have to cut each individual piece is worth any scraps that may be left over.

I did have the one blue scrap left and I will reuse later!

Attached Thumbnails attachment-23410.jpe  
    Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
    I usually look through a book BEFORE I buy it to be sure there are enough things that I want to make in it to be worth the investment. While I am sure that your templates and method ARE good, the only block than I can envision is a 4 pointed star.

Would this Star Point Blocks method yield any other blocks?

Whoops - I just looked at the OTHER thread Admin posted and see that there ARE other blocks. I'm looking forqard to your othe lessons and will probably buy the book and templates!

thanks - Joanne
    Joanne I usually design a quilt block that uses 6 star points across by 6 star points down. I have included in the book alot of my original quilt blocks. I also included ideas for using the Star Point Blocks to make borders for full size quilts and some for billfolds and bookmarks etc.
    Did you see what Suzi made and posted? It is a Star Point quilt block. And K3n made one of my quilt blocks into a wall hanging awhile ago. If you search for Rhonda's Star you will see what she did with the quilt block I sent her.
    You will learn to make the blocks and then you can use any of the quilt blocks I included or make a bunch of star points and play with the position of them to come up with your own quilt blocks.

Does this help at all? If you wnat specific links for these two let me know and I will look for them.
    Old 08-14-2009, 06:35 PM

Thanks Rhonda - and I'll keep looking at your lessons - the pictures + your descriptions REALLY make it clear how to make your star blocks - and I like your tip to start big and use the leftovers to make gradually smaller blocks - if you're into making miniatures.
    Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM
    Power Poster

For those who don't do miniatures you can use the leftovers for other blocks or for a crazy crumb method etc. They can be used to make a strip border also.
    When you are using larger blocks you will have larger leftovers. The larger the leftover the easier it is to reuse.

Tomarrow I will post a mini lesson on an alternative way to piece the block with less scrap left if you are using a large template. I'd do it now but I don't have the pics done yet.
    Old 08-14-2009, 06:50 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Thanks Rhonda - and I'll keep looking at your lessons - the pictures + your descriptions REALLY make it clear how to make your star blocks - and I like your tip to start big and use the leftovers to make gradually smaller blocks - if you're into making miniatures.
    LOL We do the 1" block and when I told Dorothy about the comments I got on how small the 1 1/2" was to people she said they need to try making the 1" then they would see what small really is!!! LOL

I doubt very many people would use the 1" template to make my "blocks".
    Old 08-15-2009, 09:27 PM
    Jet

I have the ebook and think it is great. The trouble is I do not know who wide my strips (before joining) should be.
    I want to make my finished block 6 1/2"X 6 1/2". Alos what size template should I use for this.
    I made myself a 2 1/2"template and my finished block was 4 1/2"which looked great but I want larger finished blocks.
    Hope you can help.