• Tutorials
  • Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt >
  • Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

• Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Woodster
    Originally Posted by SunAngel
    Originally Posted by sabcoke
    Thanks for the great idea. It would also work sewing scrap strips together and doing the same thing. Good scrap quilt idea too. I have so many strips and was trying to figure out how to use them. Have never used a jelly roll, always seemed so expensive. I would just buy 1/4 -1/2 yard of different material and cut the strips. Lots left over.
    Now I have my scrap quilt idea! Thanks!
    I have such a hard time cutting my own strips. They don't seem to come out very straight. I must be doing something wrong when I try.
    This quilt looks like super fun to make...however I am still not quite understanding it all together. I am determined to figure this out though. I like it. It would make a perfect quilt to take to the beach.
    Brenda
    Do you have one of the suction cup handles that you put on your ruler? I found that it REALLY helps to hold your ruler in one place. I also put some velcro dots on the ruler bottom for added stability. (I understand sand paper dots work well, too).
    You can still go off track, but not as often - and slower cutting really helps, too.
    The suction cup handle sounds like it could be a good idea for me. I know my hand does slip sometimes. Thanks for the tip.
    Brenda
    Old 05-13-2010, 08:32 PM

This has been pretty entertaining reading. LOL. Omak, I love all of your input. You are always so helpful. Thanks!

I too would like to use this method for a queen sized quilt. I have a Christmas jelly roll that I've wanted to get this exact look from. Actually, I have two jelly rolls, but looking at all the math, I think I'll stick to using just one. HA! However, in order to get it to the larger size, I'll add 3 borders - a plain one, a pieced one, and another plain one. I have lots of FQ's in the same fabrics as the jelly rolls and I'll use them to create the pieced border. So the jelly roll part will make up the center of the quilt, with the borders taking it up to the right size.
    Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
    This has been pretty entertaining reading. LOL. Omak, I love all of your input. You are always so helpful. Thanks!

I too would like to use this method for a queen sized quilt. I have a Christmas jelly roll that I've wanted to get this exact look from. Actually, I have two jelly rolls, but looking at all the math, I think I'll stick to using just one. HA! However, in order to get it to the larger size, I'll add 3 borders - a plain one, a pieced one, and another plain one. I have lots of FQ's in the same fabrics as the jelly rolls and I'll use them to create the pieced border. So the jelly roll part will make up the center of the quilt, with the borders taking it up to the right size.
    Sounds like a good solution to me! <wave>
    Old 05-14-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by sew cornie

Sounds like it will be really pretty. How do you think you'll piece the border? Vertically?
    Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 AM

I've had so much yard work lately, I haven't been able to get back to my SFJRQ for several days. Everything is just about planted, trees straightened, rock will be shovelled in place today - then back to the sewing machine! Yeah - can't wait to Git R Done!
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 AM

I've had so much yard work lately, I haven't been able to get back to my SFJRQ for several days. Everything is just about planted, trees straightened, rock will be shovelled in place today - then back to the sewing machine! Yeah - can't wait to Git R Done!
    Good show! confession time: I made three tops and they are still tops ... along with a lot of other tops, waiting to be quilted.
    Of course, last night, we welcomed a new heifer to our herd, so maybe I have other work to accomplish! LOL <wave>
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by omak
    Good show! confession time: I made three tops and they are still tops ... along with a lot of other tops, waiting to be quilted.
    Of course, last night, we welcomed a new heifer to our herd, so maybe I have other work to accomplish! LOL <wave>
    Life DOES get in the way, doesn't it??
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:32 AM

Life DOES get in the way, doesn't it??
    Congrats on the new addition, also!
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 AM

Life does get in the way, sometimes, but what an amazing life it is!<wave>
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:34 AM

Life does get in the way, sometimes, but what an amazing life it is!<wave>
    It's never boring, I'll say that.