Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • the technique tutorial making the rise and shine blocks >
  • the technique tutorial making the rise and shine blocks

• the technique tutorial making the rise and shine blocks

Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

it is not paper pieced, it is designed on paper back fusable, fused to fabric, cut out and fused onto background fabric...no paper peicing involved...some people are just looking at it as a 'cheater-paper piecing' technique...has nothing to do with paper peicing...
    Old 07-06-2010, 07:02 AM

Well that is what I thought, then so many were referring to it as paper piecing - that is what confused me - thanks! I DO love that pattern/quilt!
    Old 07-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    it is very easy and i have used the technique for lots of different designs...too much fun!
    By "a lot of different designs", do you mean still making a 6" block that is 1/4 of a circle, but something other than the sunrise look???? I have been playing with trying to do something different, using Word drawing...
    I love your quilt so much (and I seldom "copy"), I couldn't remember what you called it and I had to start a new post last night to get the info and save it!!
    Jeannie in GA
    Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 AM

it is not paper pieced, it is designed on paper back fusable, fused to fabric, cut out and fused onto background fabric...no paper peicing involved...some people are just looking at it as a 'cheater-paper piecing' technique...has nothing to do with paper peicing...
    One more question: do you use something small like Stork scissors?
    Jeannie
    Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM
    Power Poster

i use my 6" fiskar scissors, they are sharp to the point and work great, i thought my embroidery scissors were too small to cut these out and pretty much baby my embroidery scissors, i love them so much...i only do little snips with them...(the stork ones) i have a little bitty pair of very sharp 1 1/2 " scissors my daughter picked up at Michaels one day that would probably work great...they are just never where i need them. the fiskar's are always within reach...
    and i think i have a couple pictures of other blocks i've used the same technique on...i'll try to locate them
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-81712.jpe   attachment-81713.jpe   attachment-81714.jpe  
    Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM

i use my 6" fiskar scissors, they are sharp to the point and work great, i thought my embroidery scissors were too small to cut these out and pretty much baby my embroidery scissors, i love them so much...i only do little snips with them...(the stork ones) i have a little bitty pair of very sharp 1 1/2 " scissors my daughter picked up at Michaels one day that would probably work great...they are just never where i need them. the fiskar's are always within reach...
    and i think i have a couple pictures of other blocks i've used the same technique on...i'll try to locate them
    do I understand that you don't really stitch these down before quilting? you just count on the quilting stitches to hold these in place?
    Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 AM

I'm also wondering if the blocks stay fused once they're washed? Nice,clear tute.Will have to try this.
    Old 07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
    Power Poster

if it is going to be washed you have to stitch your appliques down just like any fused applique. i tend to be 'lazy' about some stuff and at times will wait and stitch them down and quilt at the same time instead of stitching them all down then quilting... but they do need to be stitched unless it is just a wall hanging that will not be washed (unless of course you know about a permenent fusable that does not require any sewing???) i think i would still be apt to stitch; i hate my quilts coming apart :)
    Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the info.....I'm not good at zig zag stitch.Maybe someday
    they'll come up with a fusible that never has to be sewn down.
    We can hope.

if it is going to be washed you have to stitch your appliques down just like any fused applique. i tend to be 'lazy' about some stuff and at times will wait and stitch them down and quilt at the same time instead of stitching them all down then quilting... but they do need to be stitched unless it is just a wall hanging that will not be washed (unless of course you know about a permenent fusable that does not require any sewing???) i think i would still be apt to stitch; i hate my quilts coming apart :)
    Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM

Hi CK...all of my appliques are cut out and ready to be ironed on to my denim!! Have a few class teaching commitments and some sewing I promised to DGD's. Then sandwich two quilts, one for FMQ and one for hand quilting ...THEN I can get back to the sunrise quilt!