Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Wings  Placement and Color Play >
  • Wings Placement and Color Play

• Wings Placement and Color Play

Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Have you founjd a way to make the blocks without so much trimming and the waste? I looked at the directions and did not want to make so much waste, but love the design/
    Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by gmcsewer
    Have you founjd a way to make the blocks without so much trimming and the waste? I looked at the directions and did not want to make so much waste, but love the design/
    Yes I have. I need to post a thread on this. I have been experimenting with cutting squares and rectangles and then cutting them into the differant size triangles to use in place of swatches. There will still be a little waste with this but not alot. I reuse my leftovers so I don't consider the cut aways as waste. But I have taken into consideration that others have differant priorities than I do when it comes to the leftovers. As a miniaturist I can reuse just about anything down to threads. But I realize not everyone will do the same.

You will lose some of the quick and easy when you take more time to cut precisely instead of cutting swatches. The swatches are used so the quilter doesn't have to do any math or cut any precise amt. I designed it that way because I don't want to take the time and effort to fiddle with cutting out precise pieces that I am going to turn around and cut out of it again anyway. I usually reuse the leftovers to make the next Wings blocks so not much is leftover anyway.

But I recognize the need for the math for those who are more concerned with conserving fabric than the ease of using swatches. I believe in each to their own so I have been working on solving this problem.

I will post it soon so you can have the directions for cutting the triangles.
    Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM
    Power Poster

Here is the tutorial for downloading and using paper templates to cut out instead of using my swatch method.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104927-1.htm#2681433
    Old 03-06-2011, 12:08 PM

great