Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Names... what happened to our society where... >
  • Names... what happened to our society where...

• Names... what happened to our society where...

Old 09-15-2024, 01:57 PM

Default Names... what happened to our society where...

... referring to others by name has seemingly become a thing of the past?

Having grown up in the 60's and 70's, referring to others by name was a given. Mr. so and so, Mrs. so and so, Aunt so and so, Uncle so and so, friends names.

I loathe how nonchalant people have become today where "hey", "yo", "hi", or a grunt has come to serve as a way of greeting and acknowledging others. IMO it lacks respect and maturity.

Anyone else notice the trend?
    Old 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM

Oh yes, to my dismay. Silence too. people stop calling, texting, etc. Seems we are to be bored to the end.
    sigh. My son even says he never talks to his friends anymore. Just goes to work and home. Thrilling.....
    not sure why though.
    the silent Earth!
    Old 09-16-2024, 04:57 AM

I do not answer to, "Hey"!
    Old 09-16-2024, 05:04 AM
    Power Poster

Gosh, I don't have those experiences! Am I oblivious? I don't think anyone has ever addressed me as "Yo" I am not special or live in a special place. Just wondering? Of course technology is different and we all participate in one way or another. Remember hearing about the first telephones and people were resistant? Why doesn't a visit suffice? Or a letter? Well, time marches on and people like what is offered. There was controversy when the auto came into being. What will happen with the horses? We like our horses and not the new fangled thing. there are pictures of piles of horse manure all over city streets back then, but, the car was considered not good progress. People back then felt the same way about the supposed progress interfering with what they like and remember about the "good ole days". Me, I like progress. Think fancier sewing machines, rotary cutters, gizmos, etc. How many of us are true purists like back then where we gather scraps and cut with a scissor if we are lucky to have one, hoard thread and one needle and make do?
    I do like polite ways and manners and there are still a lot of those around, I think. We all do our parts, right?
    Old 09-16-2024, 10:49 AM

Personally when someone greets me as "Hey! How's it going?!?" it feels more relaxed and friendly to me than a formal greeting. Usually it's accompanied by a hug.

It's not something I've ever noticed or even paid attention to, I prefer to spend my energy mulling over things more important to me.
    Old 09-16-2024, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Personally when someone greets me as "Hey! How's it going?!?" it feels more relaxed and friendly to me than a formal greeting. Usually it's accompanied by a hug.

It's not something I've ever noticed or even paid attention to, I prefer to spend my energy mulling over things more important to me.
    I've never paid that much attention to that either. But then I do live in my own little world sometimes . . .
    But it's okay. They know me there
    Old 09-16-2024, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44
    Oh yes, to my dismay. Silence too. people stop calling, texting, etc. Seems we are to be bored to the end.
    sigh. My son even says he never talks to his friends anymore. Just goes to work and home. Thrilling.....
    not sure why though.
    the silent Earth!
    Great post, Quiltwoman.

I can't count the number of times we've been out and about and popped into a restaurant for a bite to eat. While there we've observed entire tables full of people sit down, and not a word spoken, yet the electronic devices are warm and bussing.

How I miss the old days when people were people, and when visiting was done face-to-face, eye-to-eye, one-on-one.
    Old 09-16-2024, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Endora
    I can't count the number of times we've been out and about and popped into a restaurant for a bite to eat. While there we've observed entire tables full of people sit down, and not a word spoken, yet the electronic devices are warm and bussing.
    Interestingly, since the pandemic, there are a LOT of restaurants in my area that have their menus online. You scan a QR code and view the menu on your phone.
    I guess I'm more of a glass-half-full kind of person. I don't assume that I know what other people are doing on their phones and judge them for it. To each her own.
    Old 09-16-2024, 07:54 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Endora

How I miss the old days when people were people, and when visiting was done face-to-face, eye-to-eye, one-on-one.

People are still people. Lots of us visit face to face, etc. As long as you and the people with whom you associate are socializing up to the standards you require then really what does it matter if others are socializing the way that works for them?

Last edited by JanieW; 09-16-2024 at 08:02 PM.
    Old 09-17-2024, 06:08 AM

Hi (or hey) is often, if not usually, followed by "How are you?" and/or "It's good to see you". If I were greeted with a grunt or "yo", it would be a surprise as it's not the cultural norm here. I'm not sure I'd know they were addressing me, but if I did, would try to model better behavior by answering with "Hi" or "Hello".

When people are grousing about electric cars, I often thing along the lines of what Stitchnripper has mentioned. When combustible engines came out, they were not perfect, and many didn't think they would ever replace horses, distrusted them, etc. - yet here we are. It turns out that wind turbines aren't the greatest green energy source - but they were an idea, a beginning of looking at possibilities and options. It is, as the saying goes, progress.