Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • D9p Question - colorways >
  • D9p Question - colorways

• D9p Question - colorways

Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM

I have been thinking about making a d9p quilt top. I have noticed some are 3 + colors. I am trying to decide which way I want to go. Can you all please chime in and let me know which you like more (less patterns/colors or more) and why. If you have a photo of your d9p can you post it and tell me how many different fabrics used and the placement of the fabrics to make your specific quilt? I am leaning towards 4 to 5 fabrics. Thanks in advance.
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:21 PM

I have only made 2 d9p, and you will get many better answers, but I was pleased with mine. Both were small quilts for a cat (yes, really), and I used 3 fabrics. Let me see if I can find pictures. I am a fairly new quilter and I was surprised how easy the d9p was!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-269224.jpe   attachment-269225.jpe  
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Your cat quilts are very cute. Thank you!
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM

I use lots of prints in mine, but try to keep to a few colors. I like to use the same color for all of the centers, then my preference is to keep the 4 outer corners of the 9 patch either all light or all dark, and the opposite for the rest. I did a B&W with Turquoise and am working on a blue/green/yellow one. I like the B&W one best. The other one is busier than I envisioned. I only have a pic of the B&W one and the safari one, not for the blue/green/yellow. The Safari one I made using a panel for the squares and border print for the border.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-269239.jpe   attachment-269241.jpe  
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
    tmg

I used 3 colors and 9 fabrics.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-269249.jpe  
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112522-1.htm
    is the link to my first and only D9P
    I think the one I copied from is miles ahead of mine - the link is in that post also
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
    I have only made 2 d9p, and you will get many better answers, but I was pleased with mine. Both were small quilts for a cat (yes, really), and I used 3 fabrics. Let me see if I can find pictures. I am a fairly new quilter and I was surprised how easy the d9p was!
    What size do you make cat quilts? This would be a perfect solution for gift giving to the cat people friends.
    Old 10-10-2011, 05:19 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by katier825
    I use lots of prints in mine, but try to keep to a few colors. I like to use the same color for all of the centers, then my preference is to keep the 4 outer corners of the 9 patch either all light or all dark, and the opposite for the rest. I did a B&W with Turquoise and am working on a blue/green/yellow one. I like the B&W one best. The other one is busier than I envisioned. I only have a pic of the B&W one and the safari one, not for the blue/green/yellow. The Safari one I made using a panel for the squares and border print for the border.
    wow..that black/white/turquoise is stunning!
    Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by muddlingabout
    Originally Posted by Dina
    What size do you make cat quilts? This would be a perfect solution for gift giving to the cat people friends.
    was wondering that myself! great for I spy or themed quilts as well!
    Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
    I love your B&W with the teal center. I have been wanting to do a B&W and this would take care of both! Thanks for the indepth description of where you placed your colors also!