Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sizing spray >
  • Sizing spray

• Sizing spray

Old 01-08-2007, 06:39 PM

I was told to be sure to use sizing spray. Is that the same as spray starch? When do I use the spray, after block is complete or before I sew pieces? Not sure, looking for your expertise.
    Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM
    Suz

Sizing spray just gives the fabric body. Starch makes the fabric stiffer and therefore, easier to handle.
    When using spray starch, spray on the back of the fabric as it will leave a white residue, showing up particularly on darker fabrics. Guess this is why I prefer sizing.
    Sprays can be used once you have laundered your fabrics before cutting. Use it in place of a spritz of water. And anyone working with minatures, spray starch is a must.
    Suzanne
    Old 01-09-2007, 02:58 PM
    Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

So when I pre-wash fabric for quilting it is usually to set the color and/or for shrinkage and not necessarily to remove the sizing?
    Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 AM
    Suz

Sis,
    Yes, you are assuming correctly.
    Since you appear to be a new quilter, may I also suggest the following: if your piece of fabric is one yard or less, once you have completed your pressing, fold you fabric with the selvages together. Fold your fabric twice (or once if it is a fat quarter), then lengthwise resulting in a neat stash pile. Now the problem will be to keep your piles neat. This is often a problem for me.
    By folding in this manner, you will most always be cutting in the same direction (selvage to selvage). If you attempt to stretch your fabric you will find more stretch selvage to selvage vs. lengthwise. When stitching then, try to keep the "stretches" in the same direction. By doing this you will have fewer problems with one piece pushing along and getting longer. Hope this helps. Suzanne
    Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Thanks Suz, I will try this. You are right about storing the fat quarters. My inventory is so big right now, I am trying to make scrap quilts like crazy just to reduce the stock, but I am finding the folds (done many ways from the different folks I have bought from) are creating some of my problems. I always press before I cut, so will add the starch then. I checked 2 fabric stores (JoAnn and Hancock) and still have not found sizing. If you know where to find it, that would be great. Thanks again, I love this new site!
    Kathy
    Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 AM

Kathy,
    I found my can of sizing at the Dollar Store. I've also found it in the grocery store on the laundry aisle right next to the spray starch. The sizing makes the fabric feel like it did before you laundered it. Hope this helps just a little.
    Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 AM

Kathy, WalMart has it also next to the spray starch it's called Magic Sizing. I bought a can but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
    Kathy
    Old 01-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Hi,

I am new to this but love to read what you write. I have used Magic Sizing for years on our clothes. It is easier, I think, to use on my husband's shirts and makes them look fresh for the office. I have heard that we should never store fabric items for long periods of time with starch in them but I don't know about storing them with sizing on them. I heard on "Simply Quilts" that Sizing is a totally different product, but not being a chemist I don't know how it is different.

Wanda
    Old 01-12-2007, 04:55 PM

It seems that I heard the wee little buggies like to eat starch. Has anyone else heard that? Sizing doesn't have the same properties and apparently the bugs leave it alone. (That's if I remember correctly which is not at all certain!) :roll:
    Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 PM

Thanks, Yvonne, for your input. I'll remember that. I like to wash my fabrics when I first get them, then iron and put them up.

Have a good day!

Wanda :)