Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What came first ? >
  • What came first ?

• What came first ?

Old 12-21-2013, 06:50 AM

Sometimes I go get fabric for a specific project, and sometimes the fabric just gets me and I have to have it for my stash for some project later. Although I must admit that the latter is more often the case!
    Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 AM

I also do some of both. Sometimes see a pattern I love and buy fabric for it. Often it's a scrappy pattern but I still want new fabrics. Guess that sort of defeats the purpose...lol.
    Old 12-21-2013, 09:12 AM

I do both ways but my usual way is to buy fabric I can't do without then spend hours looking through my patterns trying to match them up. I do see quilts I fall in love with and go buy the pattern and go on a fabric buying spree. Both ways are fun.
    Old 12-21-2013, 11:42 AM
    Power Poster

I often find a great fabric, then find a pattern that I can use with that fabric. I sometimes buy the pattern, then pick out the fabric, it depends on the fabric and my frame of mind. I have however, bought fabric on sale that I planned to use for backing, but it had other ideas and wound up being center stage on the front of the quilt. I just could not pass up the opportunity to buy quilt shop fabric at $2.99 and $3.99/yd.- they were making room on their shelves for new fabrics and my friend and I got fantastic deals - it was so much fun.
    Old 12-21-2013, 03:29 PM

I am guilty of buying fabric, or items to deconstruct, because I just like the fabric. I often end up making my own patterns to suit the fabric when I can't find one I like. Actually, I rarely use an actual pattern... sometimes I adapt one.

I am also guilty of collecting online patterns because I like them, yet rarely using them.
    Old 12-21-2013, 03:30 PM

I'm probably like many of you and am drawn to things we call focus fabrics when I go into a shop to browse. For a while I would buy a couple of yards of something I really loved. I might buy one coordinate as well. Then I would come home and look through my stash for things I already had to coordinate with it and put it all in a plastic gallon bag. Then, when I found a pattern I would add it to the bag. It works out well for the most part. At times I have raided my 'collections' to use something in another project. It is hard to keep all options open. I really am trying to work down my stash but I do like new fabrics and new patterns.
    Old 12-21-2013, 03:57 PM

I always wanted to make quilts for children. I have enough fabric now to make quilts for my DGC, GGC, nieces and nephews. I just hope they don;t change what they like. I think I also have enough fabric for numerous I Spy quilts. Of course, that doesn't count the rest of my stash. Maybe it will all go together?!?
    Old 12-21-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Sometimes I have a pattern in mind and search for the right fabric. Sometimes I see a fabric I love and search for a pattern to use it with. Sometimes I just buy fabric and add it to my stash for someday.
    This is exactly my plan.