Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >
  • 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

• 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 06-29-2024, 03:25 AM

I have received 3 more envelopes of candies from

Patti R
    Macbaby
    Reba

Almost time to open them all
    Old 06-29-2024, 03:40 AM

Yes, indeed the party preparations are almost finished. The cake is cooling and ready for decorating and the confetti has been cut. Tomorrow is your day, Terriamn. Only a few packages to go and your gift basket will be complete.
    Old 06-29-2024, 05:10 AM

Elizabeth Hartman's method of sewing together small squares using a light-weight interfacing grid looks interesting:

https://elizabethhartman.com/all-pro...lection-blocks

Has anyone ever tried it before?

I wonder if using a marked foam-core board instead of muslin as the grid would be easier? The interfacing could be pinned or glued down to the board, and it would not shift like muslin could.
    Old 06-29-2024, 10:42 AM

I pulled out the Checkerboard Chain quilt and am trying to find a backing. Looks like I’ll have to piece one. I have an old Boom big floral pansy print that is almost wide enough but plenty long. There needs to be a 10 inch strip up the middle of something else to make it work. I don’t think I’ll get to it until week after next as this coming week is full, full, full! I’ll be checking in at the QB but not planning any sewing.

Hope everyone has a Happy Independence Day. We’ll be getting together with family and having a cookout if it isn’t miserably hot. Enjoy your weekend and the holiday!
    Attached Thumbnails img_6017.jpeg   img_6018.jpeg  
    Old 06-29-2024, 02:25 PM

So glad the candies arrived :-) and that quilt is really pretty. I’ve never tried the grid interfacing method but it looks interesting. I’ve always wondered if we have enough to do a pixel quilt. Happy 4th a both early everyone! Hugs!
    Old 06-29-2024, 08:30 PM
    Power Poster

Beautiful quilt, Janice! I like the pansy backing. Often I put a strip down the side of the backing to widen it... a solid or something else that goes.

Jenn, I saw a grid like you mentioned at a quilt show. The vendor was demonstrating it, but I forget how it all worked. Interesting, but I didn't buy because it was expensive.
    Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM

JENNR8R, the appeal of the demo is the precision of the final product. It is amazing. Knowing how I work, I would be just as likely to be imprecise now and again with all of the careful steps required for this technique. I make most of my larger grids by making four patches and combining them and careful pressing and them combining them to make the final size I need. The grid technique is worth a try. If you do use it, let us know. Goodness, we do make many, many grids of 2.5s and any idea of how to make them sharp and efficient is worth a second look.

Janice, I also put a strip down or across the back of my quilts to make the backing long enough or wide enough to avoid shopping for a new backing. Generally I offset the strop from the center. The strip may be extra blocks from the front or just coordinating colors. It makes an interesting back that coordinates with the front. Like your pansies!
    Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

Great quilt, Janice! That pansy as part of the backing goes great with what you've pieced.

I love it when the holiday falls in the middle of the week. It is a good excuse to keep celebrating!

Happy Birthday in advance, Terriamn.
    Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn
    I have received 3 more envelopes of candies from

Patti R
    Macbaby
    Reba

Almost time to open them all
    Well Everyone......looks like mine has gone missing this round. Not sure at all why since I mailed both at the same time on June 18th. I am very sorry. Maybe it will arrive Monday just in time.
    Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

Heather, you are not alone. That is why I sent the list early this month and did not wait until the 20th. You are right, maybe it will arrive just in time for the "grand opening" of the birthday packages. Fingers crossed for everyone. We will watch for a final list in the next day or two.