Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Suspending Presser Bar Pfaff 362? >
  • Suspending Presser Bar Pfaff 362?

• Suspending Presser Bar Pfaff 362?

Old 09-12-2024, 12:31 PM

Default Suspending Presser Bar Pfaff 362?

Hi All, I'm trying my hand at machine embroidery on my Pfaff 362 (picture attached). It is a machine I inherited from my MIL and she had the original instruction manual with it. According to the instructions, I have to remove the presser foot and suspend the presser bar to do this. I have never heard of this before and the manual doesn't go into detail on that anywhere I could find. Does anyone have any experience with the particular machine or knows how to "suspend the presser bar?"

Thanks
    Shari
    Attached Thumbnails pfaff362.jpg  
    Old 09-12-2024, 06:05 PM

I'm wondering if something got lost in the translation. The manual I have for the Pfaff 362 just shows the presser foot removed, but the screw still in the presser bar. Have you tried it that way?
    "The fabric should be held taut in the hoops, the presser bar suspended and the presser bar lifter lowered. Drop machine feed, lower needle into fabric at the beginning of your design and draw bobbin thread up through the fabric."
    Old 09-13-2024, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
    I'm wondering if something got lost in the translation. The manual I have for the Pfaff 362 just shows the presser foot removed, but the screw still in the presser bar. Have you tried it that way?
    "The fabric should be held taut in the hoops, the presser bar suspended and the presser bar lifter lowered. Drop machine feed, lower needle into fabric at the beginning of your design and draw bobbin thread up through the fabric."
    Janey, thank you. Yes, I have and it works. I just need more practice to get the embroidery to look good. It is possible about the translation. I've read the instructions several times and that particular line is quite confusing. I know on my Singer's I can change how much pressure is on the foot, but nothing like that exists on the Pfaff that I can find.

Shari
    Old 09-13-2024, 04:15 AM

I think what that means is that the pressure foot lever should be "disengaged" i.e. "suspended"....???
    Old 09-13-2024, 10:25 AM

I don't think so, Sewgood, as in the the same sentence it says 'presser foot lifter lowered' so that the tension engages. It does seem strange wording. Looking at the machine and the manual, it does seem strange that you can't adjust the pressure on the presser bar. I know that many machine do have some means to adjust so that one can work with various thicknesses of fabric.

Good that it works no matter what it actually means.
    Old 09-24-2024, 09:15 PM

On my Pfaff 332 you can adjust the pressure on the presser foot, but it has to be done with a screwdriver. On mine, the procedure is to remove the top and using a wide screwdriver turn the screw at the top of the presser bar counter-clockwise to decrease the pressure and clockwise to increase it. The instructions say that the top of the bar should be level with the casing for general sewing. The smallest turn of the screw will have an effect, if memory serves 1/8 inch maybe as little as 1/16 of an inch below the top of the casing is all that's recommended, and again, if memory serves, that much or less above the casing.
    Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM
    Power Poster

On my pfaff 1473 ( 1985machine?) I need to partially lower the needle bar for darning/free .option.

On that machine , one can sort of "catch" it about half way down to the needle plate.

Think of opening a dishwasher or oven door partway open and it will stay in that position.

I have no idea if that will work on your machine.

I had a challenging time figuring it out and much prefer the darning/ free motion on my vintage berninas.