1857 Singer Letter A

Old 08-08-2021, 12:08 AM

Default 1857 Singer Letter A

Hello I'm new to the forum and need as much information about this early Letter A singer sewing machine as I can get.
Serial number is 63570.
It is housed in a very unique wooden stand with the original treadle. Has anyone ever seen a Letter A with this cabinet?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Dan
Attached Thumbnails singer-model-letter-.jpeg  
Old 08-08-2021, 04:42 AM

No, I've never seen one like that, but I'm not an expert. You might like to post this over on the VSS. They have some folks who are into the really old ones.
bkay
Old 08-08-2021, 05:29 AM

Wow Dan. You have started your posts with a treasure. It looks very similar to a model 13 except it looks like your belt may be be a flat wide belt. Don't you love the way the box folds around it to cover it when it at rest. Pre civil war. Great find. Don't clean it with water .Might need to go to a saddle shop to bet a belt made, or a specialty leather place. Welcome aboard.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by bkay
No, I've never seen one like that, but I'm not an expert. You might like to post this over on the VSS. They have some folks who are into the really old ones.
bkay
Thank you so much for the lead over on VSS. I'm learning alot about this machine already. Best , Dan
Old 08-09-2021, 09:26 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! Glad to have you join us with such a beauty! Wow!! Glad you have you here.