Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • 1912 Singer Red Eye - broken thread guide >
  • 1912 Singer Red Eye - broken thread guide

• 1912 Singer Red Eye - broken thread guide

Old 09-04-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer

Can you secure the machine and make a dimple in the broken thread guide piece that if left? Then use a Dremel to drill it out? Protect the head. If you think you can, instead of drilling, try to tap it out. Suggest you keep the head on its back, so if the piece does come out, it is not lost and end up inside the head!
    I think I can dimple it with a centerpunch, since plainly it's smooshable... I was also thinking of covering the hole on the backside with a loose bubble of duct tape to catch any pieces that might go through. I'm liking the Dremel idea.

Last edited by NoraAnn; 09-04-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    Old 09-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by NoraAnn
    I think I can dimple it with a centerpunch, since plainly it's smooshable... I was also thinking of covering the hole on the backside with a loose bubble of duct tape to catch any pieces that might go through. I'm liking the Dremel idea.
    Good idea. Another way to catch the metal piece, might be a cut-off piece of pool noodle, especially since neither of bars are there.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Old 09-05-2019, 04:18 PM

Those pool noodles come in handy for so many things!
    Old 09-06-2019, 05:48 AM

I have accidentally broken off that little wire on almost every machine I have owned. I kept on using them. You just have to fiddle with the tension a bit. Finally have a machine that doesn't have the wire!!
    Old 09-06-2019, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I have accidentally broken off that little wire on almost every machine I have owned. I kept on using them. You just have to fiddle with the tension a bit. Finally have a machine that doesn't have the wire!!
    What!! The thread goes diagonally to the tensioner directly from the spool? I must admit, I didn't occur to me to even attempt it...
    Old 09-06-2019, 11:14 PM

O have trouble picturing this. I have a 66 with the wire thread guide coming through from the back side, located closer to the needle end than the top. It was broken at the "weld" when I got it. We cleaned off and soldered it, and it is fine.
    Old 09-07-2019, 07:53 AM

I think yours is the wire guide coming from the faceplate; this is the wire guide coming from the head at the top of the machine, the first threading point from the spool. It's pressed in, not welded.
    Old 09-07-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I mis-read, I meant the very thin wire that is part of the upper thread tension. Never mind...
    Old 12-05-2019, 06:44 PM

Victory!! After stepping away from the problem for a couple of months, I decided to try again. I bought a spring-loaded tool called a hammerless center punch with the intention of using it to make a little dimple in the broken-off hook so that I could drill it out without the drill wandering. Well, that little thing produces 3500PSI force, so after making the dimple, I just kept pulling the spring back and letting it fly and the broken piece actually moved backward in the hole until it was sticking a fair way out inside the head. From there, I used a 1/16" hardened centerpunch and hammered at it until it moved the last little bit and finally fell out. Bent the punch, and it took a bit to extricate the punch from the hole (I thought, oh no, this hole is cursed!), but I managed not to enlarge it in the process. The replacement hook tapped in firmly, no problem. I just have to reassemble all the parts I removed and it should finally sew. Thanks for all your input!
    Old 12-06-2019, 06:54 PM

Whew what a process. Well done.