1930 German Singer

Old 11-17-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll
Does the earlier 206 take the 206x13?
Yes, definitely. It's where the 206 came from in the designation.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Champanier
I'm sure I'll be looking for help. I know the tension is put together all callywampus and I don't know what some of the other controls are for.
You should be able to find a pdf manual but if you can't I can scan mine.
It's not like the original though. Mine is in English
Old 11-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike
Yes, definitely. It's where the 206 came from in the designation.
I meant to ask whether the early 206 takes the 206x13 only. I assume so but I'm not certain. Once again, sorry for initially omitting the word 'only' -- I thought that would be implied.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll
I meant to ask whether the early 206 takes the 206x13 only. I assume so but I'm not certain. Once again, sorry for initially omitting the word 'only' -- I thought that would be implied.
The two needles are almost identical, the only difference being that the 15x1 has a longer tip after the thread hole. It's this tip that hits the bobbin case during ZZ (this has been discussed quite a bit on this forum).

Last edited by manicmike; 11-17-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike
You should be able to find a pdf manual but if you can't I can scan mine.
It's not like the original though. Mine is in English
Thanks very much! I did find the manual online. It's been raining so hard here that we haven't been able to get the machine out of the car. Thanks, again!
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 PM

Found the site with Wittenberg serial numbers again: http://home.arcor.de/veritasklub/sin...er_1letter.htm
Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Champanier
Found the site with Wittenberg serial numbers again: http://home.arcor.de/veritasklub/sin...er_1letter.htm
That's excellent info! Thank you Linda.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:31 AM

Anyone know where I can find a Featherweight manual? After using my old one for about 6 yrs and never a problem, I took it to a guild sew-in last Sat. and the only thing different I did was to change the top thread spool. It absolutely would not sew right, keeps bunching up on the bottom thread. I checked the bobbin, changed the needle checked the threading path. No good. Came home and got out a newer FW, checked everything against the newer one, all the same. Newer one sewed like a champ. What on earth happened? I had just used her three days before the sew-in. I sew crazy foundation blocks on her when the mood strikes. I am totally at a loss to figure this one out.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
Anyone know where I can find a Featherweight manual? After using my old one for about 6 yrs and never a problem, I took it to a guild sew-in last Sat. and the only thing different I did was to change the top thread spool. It absolutely would not sew right, keeps bunching up on the bottom thread. I checked the bobbin, changed the needle checked the threading path.
Here's a 221K manual. http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ng-machine.pdf

I had the same thing happen with the thread on my 201 the other day and it was just that the top tension was too loose. Put it up to 8 and it was just fine. When I'm feeling ambitious, I'll take out the bobbin case and lower the bobbin tension. I don't like having the top tension so high - doesn't leave much room for adjustment.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:45 AM

Update on Singer 206

I've put in about 7 hours on this machine today.

First, I'm thankful that you encouraged me to buy this. Here's the original ad, which is still up: http://catskills.craigslist.org/atq/4727888381.html. The only reason I went to see it was because I couldn't figure out the parts it showed on the back and just was curious.

Second, I kept thinking as I cleaned this 84 year old machine that it's a good thing WWII wasn't waged with sewing machines - not sure the Allies would have won.

I still have questions. It's a 220 v motor, and needs to be rewired anyway, so looking for advice. Find a motor from the U.S. and just store the original? Put in a 220 line for it? Other ideas? Oh, and although it's set up for a knee lever, the lever is missing. Hmm, that's another question - if I put on a 110 v motor, would I need to change the controller?

The finish on this is spectacular. I used cotton and oil, no polish or wax at all, except on the edge of the wheel - used Simachrome on that. None of my other machines ever had this kind of shine.

Oh, and I reassembled the tension with everything in the right order and it works. It's still hard to turn the wheel by hand, but it does stitch.

Here's the original CL photo and one taken today. Yay!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]499775[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]499776[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg