1953 Commodore has arrived.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 AM

Completely off topic, Joe, I'm a kitty lover so after checking out your Commodore I immediately went to the cat! I think my kitty might be your kitty's beefy sister! This is Cinnamon...who incidently loves sewing machines too and decorating them with her fur...
Attached Thumbnails dscn0096.jpg  

Last edited by pumpkinpatchquilter; 10-20-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I've gotten machines I wanted just for parts and then they clean up and work better than the one I wanted to fix... just happened yesterday. I was wanting parts - I got perfectly good machines... bummer eh??? well??? really......
Will try the Tri-Flow first.

When we paid for this machine the GW store manager emailed us and told us all about how bad this machine was. How the slide plate was missing and how filthy it was and how the case was falling apart. We responded that we could tell that from the pics, that we did indeed want it, and to please pack it good so it wasn't further damaged. He did.

The case is mostly water damage. I can't count how many of these old cases I've run across that are falling apart due to water damage. But it's fixable. That will be a spring time or next summer project as the weather has gone cold and wet and I'm not gonna work outside in the garage when it's cold and wet.

The Belgelcor motor has been removed from the Commodore, cleaned and oiled. The brush springs were bent real bad so I used the ones from the original HOTHER motor. Today the HOTHER will get a correct motor and then I'll be finishing the top to one of the quilts I'm building. I've only got two aunts left and I'm gonna send each a quilt and a wacky bag for Christmas.

Then as I clean the Commodore it will get the motor that was on the HOTHER. It works good so that won't hurt the machine.
We have an electrical motor place here in Springfield that said they could send one of the brush caps off somewhere and match it, but they couldn't do it here. Now that I have the second motor I'm going to do that. Then perhaps I can get both Belgelcor motors running. Maybe.

The Commodore machine is filthy with lint and fuzz under the needle plate that tells me this old lady has been used. Not abused like the Edison, but honestly sewn with. When it got here the needle was bent. That always concerns me. But after oiling the machine and motor and running it over a continuous strip of fabric without a needle so the oil could get into all the right places, I put in a needle, threaded it up, and she sews sooooooooo nice. Forward back, backward, big stitches, little stitches. All she needs is cleaned, and oiled.

So this one will not be parted out other than the motor. And the Commodore will be my guide to reset everything on the Edison.
Now there's hope for Eddy.

Joe
Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Completely off topic, Joe, I'm a kitty lover so after checking out your Commodore I immediately went to the cat! I think my kitty might be your kitty's beefy sister! This is Cinnamon...who incidently loves sewing machines too and decorating them with her fur...
Cinnamon is soooooo cute. I know what you mean about them leaving their fur on the machines. The machines just seem to attract cat hair like a magnet.

The kitty behind the Commodore is Pollyanna our polydactyl brat that adopted my wife. She has 24 toes, 7 on each front and 5 on each back. She's so people friendly we don't dare let her outside, we'll loose her for sure. She likes to ride around on my wife's shoulders so she can look down on the other kitties. When we have people stop by she'll fly up on their shoulders and love 'em up. Men, women, it don't matter, she likes everyone.

Joe
Old 10-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Un-Du is found at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or a scrapbook store. That's how I found it! Our local SBS owner had some and I found it amazing! It took pictures off that I had glued on in the wrong place and didn't harm the pictures. I got brave and took some pictures out of my dad's scrapbook that he kept while he was in Korea. I took out the telegram that he got telling him I was born! It didn't hurt a thing! I love that stuff!!!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller
Cinnamon is soooooo cute. I know what you mean about them leaving their fur on the machines. The machines just seem to attract cat hair like a magnet.

The kitty behind the Commodore is Pollyanna our polydactyl brat that adopted my wife. She has 24 toes, 7 on each front and 5 on each back. She's so people friendly we don't dare let her outside, we'll loose her for sure. She likes to ride around on my wife's shoulders so she can look down on the other kitties. When we have people stop by she'll fly up on their shoulders and love 'em up. Men, women, it don't matter, she likes everyone.

Joe
Hahaha your kitty is just adorable Love her! Cinnamon is a little piglet and would gladly eat Pollyanna if she came to visit... LOL**

Originally Posted by MimiBug123
Un-Du is found at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or a scrapbook store. That's how I found it! Our local SBS owner had some and I found it amazing! It took pictures off that I had glued on in the wrong place and didn't harm the pictures. I got brave and took some pictures out of my dad's scrapbook that he kept while he was in Korea. I took out the telegram that he got telling him I was born! It didn't hurt a thing! I love that stuff!!!
NEAT! I'm such a nerd. I must check it out.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Joe,

The easiest thing you might have -- try some PAM cooking spray. It WON'T harm the machine's surface!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz
Joe,

The easiest thing you might have -- try some PAM cooking spray. It WON'T harm the machine's surface!

Jeanette Frantz
I bet that is fun to clean up when it gets old and dried up...
Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 AM

I have an old OD green bottle of LSA oil and I used that with cotton balls to clean up this old machine. It works beautifully for cleaning. I put some on that ancient old bandage tape and let it soak. Sewed some quilt parts and finished another whacky bag, then went back and did a bit of rubbing and that nasty sticky tape and glue came right off.

I've found that LSA oil is fairly cheep and cleans metal surfaces well. I got to get some more of that. That way I save the Tri-Flow for actual lubricating.

Joe
Old 10-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller
I have an old OD green bottle of LSA oil and I used that with cotton balls to clean up this old machine. It works beautifully for cleaning. I put some on that ancient old bandage tape and let it soak. Sewed some quilt parts and finished another whacky bag, then went back and did a bit of rubbing and that nasty sticky tape and glue came right off.

I've found that LSA oil is fairly cheep and cleans metal surfaces well. I got to get some more of that. That way I save the Tri-Flow for actual lubricating.

Joe
salad oil might even work...
Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 AM

Naw the vinegar smell would remind me of Arizona and how my mom would put vinegar on the sunburns.

Joe