221 Hesitation Question

Old 09-24-2024, 03:33 AM

Default 221 Hesitation Question

I am going over the FW 221 I just bought and notice that as I get to the highest point of the needle coming up, it gets harder to turn the handwheel. Once I'm past the top and the needle is on its way down again, it is easy to turn the handwheel. I have oiled, greased and run the machine and it has gotten easier after that but there is still a hesitation at that point.
The machine will sew, but I have to turn the hand wheel to get it started.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks!

Watson
Old 09-24-2024, 05:58 AM

When I would clean up a machine, I would give it the "spin test" when I thought I was finished, basically spin the hand wheel and see where the needle stops. If it stops in the same place every time, then there's a sticking point.

Remove every cover you can and double check all metal to metal contact points, keep oiling. Maybe kerosene if it doesn't free up with lots of oil and time.
Old 09-24-2024, 07:08 AM

Have you checked out the schoolhouse at https://singer-featherweight.com/?sr...znM9gwvzXVRvwZ
for any tips or suggestions.
Old 09-24-2024, 08:37 AM

I have read about machines having to be started by hand, but don't remember if there was some trick to get it going on its own. It has been years ago, but I know April & Carmon (now singer-featherweight.com) were quite helpful when I called and asked about a pinker.

I like Joe's suggestion.

I'm wondering if there is some thread or even hair that is caught somewhere, making it harder to turn at a particular point. I had a FW that had a more pronounced hard spot that I tell about FW-HASB ?? fixable? by me? - very long winded I finally fixed it. I don't remember exactly but it had something to do with the rotary hook shaft. There is a flat spot on the rod that the set screw needs to be on. I thought the screws needed to be in a straight line, but the service manual ( https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...13128764594508 pg 11 ) doesn't show that they are. Unfortunately, the link doesn't work of the video that I watched and the one they have now doesn't seem to be the same.

Good luck on getting your FW working to your satisfaction. They are fun machines.