401 and 500- same feet?

Old 04-12-2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter
Hey, Janey! Jaaaaannneeeeeeyyyyy! I found a box of attachments from long ago. Hoping I got them from the thrift store without the machine. Also hoping I still have the lid to the box. It has thst single hole throat plate you mentioned above (174529) as well as 14 top hat cams (series 173 amd 174) and mystery items #21906 and 163455 which look very interesting. It also has 2 snap on feet, which is strand, as there's no ankle. Hmmm. Oh, and the plastic bobbin is smaller on one side than the other.

Trying for a picture.
neat. Yes, those would be for Touch & Sew machines. The 21906 & 163455 are for the chain stitch, but there is still a throat plate that would be needed to make a chain stitch. The plate has an oval front to back needle plate. See Help Identifying Plate

Bobbin is for T&S machines.

I haven't seen the basting cam before. The manuals that I've seen for basting stitches is basically a blind hem stitch that is set with some dials so only the zag (or is it the zig?) that actually catches the bobbin thread.

I've seen some slant shank snap on feet, but can't remember which machines. Often snap on feet or even the changeable Greist attachments are often missing the main ankle or adapter as that was what was on the machine when the attachments got separated from the machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:13 AM

Oooo, I've always wanted a chain stitcher, I hope it does it.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]592873[/ATTACH]
I thought this was the chain stitch plate.

The T&S white top hat cams are mostly the stretch stitch cams (if I remember correctly, there's also a duck). I understand they only work with the 700 machines.

bkay
Old 04-13-2018, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by bkay
I thought this was the chain stitch plate.

The T&S white top hat cams are mostly the stretch stitch cams (if I remember correctly, there's also a duck). I understand they only work with the 700 machines.

bkay
The items pictured are the "Bobbin Case Cover" and "Thread Guide". You still need the throat plate for the machine to chain stitch. For the 758/778 the "Chainstitch Throat Plate" which is shown on page 38 of the pdf or should be page 32 of the paper manual you will see that it is different from the straight stitch or zigzag plate. For the 778 the part number should be 171467. The needle hole is oval and there is a "doohickey" (I haven't found an actual name for it) on the bottom side of the plate that is needed to make a chain stitch. The throat plate number for chain stitch on other T&S's would be21913 or 21915. I only have 21913's.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 AM

I looked up that part, and I'm sure I still have it. My T&S box is still at school. I'm bringing home sewing stuff next week so, I'll see what's in there.

All my sewing machine stuff is scattered out between the house, the out building and school. I don't have a clue where most of it is, but somewhere I have the manual for the 778 (I have the pdf, too). I never tried the chain stitch function, but I will.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 04-13-2018 at 08:03 AM.