9 patch on it's way

Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 AM

I haven't slept on a normal schedule in 3 years since I became disabled. It's not unusual for me to wake up in the middle of the night and take a couple hours to go back to sleep.

Anyway, here's Olivia.
Yes, I would LOVE the pink fabric!!!!! I should ask where did you get it? I really want to thank you for when the fabric gets here.THANK YOU!
Olivia W.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 AM

The quilt questions. I hadn't thought about QAYG. That does have some good possibilities. I think I might be better off staying with conventional construction in this case. I think it will be easier to compensate for an uneven number of blocks that way since I don't know the final total yet.

I'll be sure to take some in progress pictures too. Ashlea requested turquoise for the borders and sashing. I picked up a really nice turquoise batik fabric out of some of the donated funds. It looks like a big slab of the stone itself to me. The other fabrics in that color range looked a little dull and lifeless compared to this one.
Rodney
Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 AM

I'm sure it is going to be wonderful. Can't wait to see the progression!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:12 AM

I am excited to see, too. We are all enjoying this vicariously through you. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney

Anyway, here's Olivia.
Yes, I would LOVE the pink fabric!!!!! I should ask where did you get it? I really want to thank you for when the fabric gets here.THANK YOU!
Olivia W.
There is a little more than I thought. Almost enough to make a skirt. A really short skirt. At least there would have been if I hadn't cut out that 3 1/2 inch square. :-(
I have no idea from where I got it. People are always giving me stuff, and I make a lot of crazy crumb quilts with really teeny pieces. I don't suppose you will find any more...unless....people are always asking for old fabrics on this board. If you post a picture of it, could be someone would have some or know from where to find it.
Good luck on your project.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:07 PM

Thank you Mavita! I know she will be thrilled with it.

Today's mail: We received 2 more packages today. One package from Melinda1962 and the other from Missgigglewings. Both packages contained blocks featuring red and white plaid (gingham?) squares! What's the odds of that?
Thank you very much to both of you!
Rodney
Old 10-08-2014, 12:54 PM

I just got today's mail. I haven't opened it yet. I'm waiting for Olivia to get home from school for that.
Miriam your package that I think has your grand kids' blocks is here (I'm dying to see them ) and Jeanette Frantz your package arrived today too.

I've actually started. I cut some of the sashing for the blocks. I've also been pressing the blocks and will start sewing some together this afternoon. I'm going to sew at least a few on Ella, my 1908 Singer model 27 treadle. If it works out, I'll continue with her, otherwise I'll use my Rodney machine. I'm not putting the blocks in any particular order other than trying not to put 2 blocks from the same person next to each other. My mind isn't capable of any decent decisions when it comes to organizing by color so random it is.

I settled on 1 1/2" sashing between the blocks and am going for 6x7 (42) blocks on a side. I think it will be a good size for watching TV on the couch or reading when it's done. I'll adjust the back, make more blocks or add a row as necessary but I think 84 blocks will be pretty close to the total.
Awesome job everyone! My initial goal was 40 and you all have completely destroyed that mark!
Rodney
Old 10-08-2014, 02:34 PM

Treat the blocks as a scrappy quilt and you will be amazed how nice the colors come out in the quilt. You have the right idea. It will be beautiful.
Skip
Old 10-08-2014, 03:16 PM

Scrappy quilts are my favorite!
Old 10-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

A couple awesome things:
First Caleb called and said he found a dog the other day that he is training to be a service dog for Ashlea. If he gets it certified she can take her to work. He searched and searched and found a border collie that they both bonded with. The dog was a part of a pilots program where the dogs are switched from one part of the country to another. They had too many small dogs in Florida and not enough big dogs. In Georgia they had too many big dogs and not enough small dogs. Since she is from Georgia, they named her Savannah. He said the dog senses that there is something wrong with Ashlea's left hand. She goes to her right to be petted. She goes either way to Caleb.

The other cool thing: Right from the start, my sister and I each made a quilt block for Ashlea's quilt. Then the other day the DGDs were here and they each made a quilt block. So I thought I would see if my mom would like to make a block. She said she would love to. Mom is 88 and she has had quite a few strokes. She doesn't have a lot of coordination anymore - her hands don't do what she tells them to do. She used to be the person who fitted all of the Indianapolis 500 princesses for their gowns. Well, I cut out a bunch of scrap squares and took them over to her place. She arranged and re-arranged them until she found some she liked. Then she wanted to sew them on her new plastic Singer. (I couldn't get the needle to stay in it and something was wrong with the throat plate or the bobbin.) After a while she said she guessed we could see if the FW would work. It did. She pieced the square. It isn't what she would have done 10 years ago but it will do the trick. All I had to do was cut some pieces. WOW!