9 patch on it's way

Old 10-13-2014, 03:08 PM

Rodney...I don't think any of us are looking for perfection. I know that I am just plain grateful that you are doing all the hard work, not me. The adjustment will look just fine...and I always say that quilts are just a big hug.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

First off, no mail today. There was no mail last Monday either so I kind of think our mail lady is giving herself a couple long weekends.

Alright here's a couple pictures. Olivia helped me. It was windy this afternoon, Olivia took the pictures while I held the quilt against the hedge so it wouldn't blow away.
First side, no borders yet. There are a couple places where the sashing didn't completely line up, maybe 1/2" off, but nothing too bad, I think those will be ok. Overall I'm pleased with how it's looking.

The dogleg on the edge. It's on the top in the first picture. Due to the angle and the way I'm holding the quilt it doesn't show up well there.

It's too big to trim and the sashing is lined up on all the blocks except the last one here where I have this 1" edge sticking out. I've had the quilt apart a couple times on that seam already and I don't think it can take much more of that sort of treatment either.
The best solution I can come up with (actually Carol's idea) is to sew a strip of the border fabric up the side then square everything up before the actual borders go on.

If anyone has a better solution please let me know.
Thanks everyone!
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails ashleas-quilt-006.jpg   ashleas-quilt-007.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 PM

Great job Rodney! Love the sashing color!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Rodney it is just beautiful. Ashlea is going to love it!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:33 PM

Bravo, Ashlea; you have and continue to work hard! Keep up the good work. Your progress is amazing!

Rodney, don't beat yourself up on the variations in the quilt block stuff. I, as I am sure many others have, put together blocks made by a multitude of individuals...'taint easy. You have learned something by this endeavor and isn't that what life is all about...a lifetime of learning. Problem is remembering what is learned LOL (for me, at least). Relax a little and enjoy what you are doing. Thanks from all of us for doing this big job. Remember, there is no deadline on when you must have this done! A day or two more or less won't be a problem for Ashlea, I'm sure.
Donna
Old 10-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Thanks, I'll try not to sweat the little stuff. At the end of this it will be a quilt and it will do everything a quilt is supposed to do.
Rodney
Old 10-14-2014, 05:10 AM

Atta boy Rodney, looking good!! Ashlea will be one happy and warm camper when her quilt is completed. We are all behind you and Olivia on this adventure of a lifetime!!!

Soman 2

The other Rodney
Ponchatoula, La.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

It looks just lovely.....the sashing colour is perfect. Don't dare be hard on yourself Rodney....you and Olivia are doing wonderfully. Great colour co-ordination too. Look forward to seeing more pics (when you have a spare minute).
Old 10-14-2014, 06:57 AM

How about making the border thinner at that point. I've seen lots of quilts where the pieces in the quilt "spilled" over into the border. Open a few stitches at top and bottom of that block. Put the border on that side as on the other side, but only up to the too-big block. Then add border fabric to that block. Sew the border seams (that now will include a little of the block, also) straighten out the edge and everything will be square.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Rodney please don't be so hard on yourself. The quilt is lovely and made with a lot of love. So many wonderful people have made the squares Ashlea will see something different everytime she looks at it. Thank you for taking this job on.