9 patch on it's way

Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 AM

I'm sorry about that hurry to get the block in the mail.��
Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Rodney and Olivia, it's beautiful; the obvious love and care put into it is all she will see and feel in her soul. Also even experienced patch-workers end up with issues like that. I always tell new quilters that undoing and redoing is just part of the process, and it helps us learn the pre-sewing things we need to do to avoid it.

What I myself would do in this instance is to distribute the 1/2" correction across the width of the end block...
* use a seam ripper to undo the sash seam only enough to remove the one end block
* use a rotary cutter and mat to trim 1/8" off the left and right sides of that removed block
* between the blocks 4-patch rows, resew each of the two vertical seams 1/8" inward from the previous seam
* sew the block back into the quilt row to see that the extra 1/2" has disappeared and that the long perimeter sash strip will now line up.
* after sewing on the perimeter sashing, measure the quilt-top width in three or four spots to obtain an average width, trim the quilt-top width to match that average measurement, then repeat this step for the quilt-top length to square up the entire quilt-top. This will make any unevenness invisible to the eye.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:39 AM

What a great solution lmc8! Now I have learned a new trick.

Originally Posted by lmc8
Rodney and Olivia, it's beautiful; the obvious love and care put into it is all she will see and feel in her soul. Also even experienced patch-workers end up with issues like that. I always tell new quilters that undoing and redoing is just part of the process, and it helps us learn the pre-sewing things we need to do to avoid it.

What I myself would do in this instance is to distribute the 1/2" correction across the width of the end block...
* use a seam ripper to undo the sash seam only enough to remove the one end block
* use a rotary cutter and mat to trim 1/8" off the left and right sides of that removed block
* between the blocks 4-patch rows, resew each of the two vertical seams 1/8" inward from the previous seam
* sew the block back into the quilt row to see that the extra 1/2" has disappeared and that the long perimeter sash strip will now line up.
* after sewing on the perimeter sashing, measure the quilt-top width in three or four spots to obtain an average width, trim the quilt-top width to match that average measurement, then repeat this step for the quilt-top length to square up the entire quilt-top. This will make any unevenness invisible to the eye.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Wow! You've done an amazing job, Rodney. Whatever you choose to do to get that one block under control will be the right thing, because you're the one doing the sewing. Do it again on another row and it isn't a mistake, it is a pattern. Symmetry is over-rated. You could just trim it off, and do that to a couple of other blocks: Modern Artistic Dada Homemade. Design feature!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Looks Wonderful, Rodney! Great job...
Old 10-14-2014, 02:51 PM

Rodney, please let me know if you didn't receive what I sent you. The package was supposed to be delivered today. I am not technologically knowledgeable enough to have posted pics prior to mailing.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:54 PM

Wow Rodney!! It looks fantastic!! I love the colour you used for the sashing!! Don't sweat the small stuff cause it looks great - just square it up and away you go - you have done such a super job!! Thank you soooooo much for your time and effort with initiating, organizing and putting everything together!!! We all appreciate all of it!!

Ashlea will love all of the care and comfort that went into the project and when she wraps it around her or snuggles under it she will know that she has many thinking of her and cheering her on

Deb
Old 10-14-2014, 04:47 PM

I love the teal/aqua sashing! Very nice job, Rodney and Olivia!!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:02 PM

That is a gorgeous quilt, Rodney and Olivia. Who is doing the most sewing? Have you worked your way through Imc8's suggestions? I myself could not figure it out, nor could I work my way to square without doing some ripping and re-stitching; but good luck on trying her way--that is what we were taught in quilting class. It is a wonder to me that you only have that much of a discrepancy; what with putting so many different quilters' squares together. You're doing good IMHO.....
Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 PM

Lmc8 that's a great solution, I wish I knew to do that when I started trying to fix it the first couple times. Unfortunately I've already ripped those seams a couple times and the fabric isn't going to take any more fussing with it. This morning I went ahead and sewed a piece of the sashing on the edge. It made a difference, the fault isn't as obvious as it was when it was just sticking out there. I'm not feeling as bad about it now as I was earlier. I think when the border is completed it will still be there but it won't be obvious.
I am definitely saving that tip for if I have a problem like this again though.

Today's Mail:
Orangeroom: Your blocks showed up today. I love the orange fabrics you chose! Very cheerful!
GreyQ: I love the fabrics on your blocks too! Very colorful and appropriate for the quilt!
Miriam: Your mother's block arrived today too and I love everything about it. She still has a great eye for fabrics and her sewing is still better than mine! I love the signature too. I think "Grandma" says everything that needs to be said.

So far I've been doing the sewing. Olivia is still learning to treadle and really doesn't like it right now. I think she's just frustrated with it. We'll set up her Singer 101 and she can sew some of the sashing on that. What's a sweatshop without child labor anyway?
Thanks everyone!
Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 10-14-2014 at 05:47 PM.