Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Another one followed me home! Singer 15-91 from Canada. >
  • Another one followed me home! Singer 15-91 from Canada.

• Another one followed me home! Singer 15-91 from Canada.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller
    Pictures are WAY TO BIG for my dial up. Can't see them.

Joe
    joe,

here are the pics. i resized them for you. let me know if it works.
    Attached Thumbnails temp1.jpg   temp2.jpg   temp3.jpg   temp4.jpg   temp5.jpg  

temp6.jpg  

Last edited by singerguy; 06-16-2014 at 07:46 AM.
    Old 06-16-2014, 03:49 PM

Singerguy, Thanks a bunch. Ewww, it does look like that machine has been wet. Have you tried Evapo-Rust? I find that works good. Joe
    Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller
    Singerguy, Thanks a bunch. Ewww, it does look like that machine has been wet. Have you tried Evapo-Rust? I find that works good. Joe
    I'll have to pick some up next time i'm in town. Right now i have a wired brush, a dremmel and time. LOL I find on chrome aluminum foil and water will remove . White vinegar is good if it's not nickel/shiny and you have a bit of time for it to soak So basically things that aren't seen. I also uploaded another album with smaller pics. So you can get the entire experience of checking out all the rust. *wink* http://imgur.com/a/G9BRe
    Old 06-16-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
    Poor baby! I am glad she is getting some care at last. They are the best! I think I had better give mine a hug today!
    I have another one, she's a dream to sew on! I absolutely adore how quiet she is compared to a couple of others. Especially compared to my tractor Singer.
    Old 06-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    All she's needs is love and care. It looks like she is already getting that from the before and after I see!
    She's getting the once over. LOL I am actually quite hesitant about cracking open her motor. I didn't work on her today because I needed to work on some hand embroidery for a baby quilt. The mother's due date is the end of june so i have 2 weeks to finish 3 more 10 -inch squares, piece the 4 patches, sandwich, quilt and bind. So... yea a bit of procrastination is in the works. hahaha.
    Old 06-16-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S.
    foufymaus,

Your post was amusing and also inspiring! I love it - can't wait to see the progress.
    *grin* thanks, I'll keep ya posted. When I finally put the plug in and do her first stitches, I'll totally do a little video.
    Old 06-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by jeanharville
    What did you soak the rusty parts in?
    Depending on the metal and it's finish, kroil (the oil the creeps) I found the stash in my dad's 'office/garage', which btw smells like starting fluid so it's stinky and oddly pink., tri-flo because it's rec'd here, white vinegar if it doesn't have a chrome/nickle finish basically if it's shiny or should be shiny don't use it on that.

Right now on this machine, I've just used Dawn and a soft sponge and an old t-shirt to remove surface grime. Rust under neath is with a small wire brush but not on chrome or shiny bits. On the shiny bits I've been using a balled up piece of aluminum foil and plain water. It makes things shiny with just a tiny bit of effort.
    Old 06-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
    That one is a challenge. Will be watching your progress.
    eep?! Pressure.... oh noes.... lol I'll make sure to keep all of ya updated on her progress.
    Old 06-16-2014, 06:50 PM

foufymaus, I started cleaning a 1912 New Home treadle last week. I didn't know (and still don't know) if the slides on the bed of the machine were chrome or steel, but they were pretty rusty. I used the aluminium and water method and that did remove the rust, and I can read the numbers, but it didn't make it shine. Is there any thing that would make the chrome shine? Is there such a thing as chrome wax? Or do you think the slides are steel?
    Old 06-17-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by jeanharville
    foufymaus, I started cleaning a 1912 New Home treadle last week. I didn't know (and still don't know) if the slides on the bed of the machine were chrome or steel, but they were pretty rusty. I used the aluminium and water method and that did remove the rust, and I can read the numbers, but it didn't make it shine. Is there any thing that would make the chrome shine? Is there such a thing as chrome wax? Or do you think the slides are steel?
    An auto parts store should have a chrome polish amongst all of the car care items.