Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Antique Japanese Belvedere Zig-Zag HELP >
  • Antique Japanese Belvedere Zig-Zag HELP

• Antique Japanese Belvedere Zig-Zag HELP

Old 08-17-2021, 11:00 PM

Exclamation Antique Japanese Belvedere Zig-Zag HELP

My wonderful partner was given a beautiful antique zig zag machine. It is a sea foam/teal in color with white accents. It looks to have been converted into a beautiful hideaway seeing cabinet from Swedish origin. We have the original manual however it doesn’t state the serial, place of origin, or any info other than basic operation, the machine is identical in the manual, however it’s impossible to tell without matching serial numbers. Ive looked into old Japanese Belvedere/Adler knockoffs that are still quite beautiful and would just like any info or help identifying l. Thank you in advance! All the pictures I could think of attached. The serial # is SZZ8175
    Attached Thumbnails c344d92c-c89d-41e4-ad96-ab928604565e.jpeg  
    Old 08-18-2021, 02:40 AM

First off, welcome to the boards and the wonderful world of vintage sewing machines!

You might not be able to find out much more other than this is a "badged" machine. Check out this thread for similar machines and a lot of information!
    Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

I love these types of machines, my own is a Remington. Morse is another name, they tend to be a bit flashier than the others. It had belonged to a friend's grandmother who was putting it in a garage sale and they asked me for pricing help -- I said to price it at $40, take anything above $20 but not below because I would buy it for $20... Anyway, when my then modern machine (which was late 1970s, the last model with cams before everything went computer) broke and couldn't be repaired, I pulled out "Remy" and used it steadily for most of the last 20-30 years. In fact, my very modern machine is in the shop currently with a 6-8 week estimated turn around time, and so once again, Remy is in service. They are extremely reliable and durable and you can do your own maintenance and sew through anything from silk to upholstery. I claim that all we need to do most quilting is a good quality straight stitch, and this sort of machine delivers that flawlessly.
    Old 08-18-2021, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by wraithguard
    ... We have the original manual however it doesn’t state the serial, place of origin, or any info other than basic operation, the machine is identical in the manual,...
    As noted on the machine, the place of origin is Japan. The manuals from this era did not have any dates, either. The machines were sold and could have many different name badges put on the same machine. There is usually a JA and/or a JC with a number either cast or stamped on the underside of the machines. You can read more about these about 2/3rd the way down the page under the title "Japanese JA and JC numbers" at http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/resources.htm

Iceblossom suggested the link to find out some more about "badged" machines. They seem to be very good mechanical machines and will probably be around for a lot longer than the modern plastic machines.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)