Any own have a Dial N Sew?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 PM

Hi everyone! So yesterday my neighbor gave me the same machine and I'm so lost on what to do because I've never owned a machine and the last time I used one was years ago, so I don't know any of the terms or names of some of the machine parts. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out with the basics and where I could buy some of the parts because she gave it to me with nothing but the machine itself. Pls help!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 AM

What are you going to sew with it? It probably takes low-shank attachments like a low-shank Singer, and those can be purchased individually on ebay or Sew-Classic or many places. If you just want to do basic sewing and mending of clothes, probably a zipper foot is the most useful attachment (can be used for other than zippers.) Those green cams are for decorative stitches only. There's an extra needle plate shown in the pic above but that might be for straight-stitching. Most extra stuff, you can get along without. The only source for parts like cams and other specialized parts is people who buy machines and part them out. Low-shank attachments like rufflers and buttonholers can be bought / ordered from sewing machine dealers who do repairs.

The manual, I don't know where you'd find one. Google sewing machine manuals and you'll find many sellers. One that I found has lots of Japanese machine manulas and maybe you can match that machine up to a picture and but a PDF manual that youdownload.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM

Welcome aboard chrystal! Oh she is a beauty... Be patient.. Oil and lube her and read the instructions.. With that machine, you won't need another...
Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM

Aw Shirley, it is her first machine. Perhaps she will become addicted to vintage machines and will be enabled by us to form a herd.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Jeff- I replied to pm. I have the original manual for this machine. If someone can instruct me on the best way to scan and compile it, I would love to share it with you! Can't help otherwise though, mine is giving me trouble

And Ladies.....this forum has me slowing down at rummage sales and peering out the window at old machine tables wondering what may be in them lol.....I have overcome the urge so far, I must get mine working properly before I can even think of rescuing others lol. I am gonna be strong and save all my machine love for my Dial N Sew.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 AM

I don't see a place to put the cams. Am I looking wrong?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
ro
Banned

looks very much like a j.c.penney's machine that i bought in the 70's. if it's it, the machine is a work horse. someone just broke the slide you use to move the dial around to where you want to choose a decorative stitch. so i brought it to get fixed and it couldnt be fixed. so now i have the machine, it goes forward reverse and zig zag but no decorative stitches. but it easily goes thru 4 layers of fabric and 2 batting. thats 6 layers. not many machines can say that.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM

Barny- Do you see the big "dial" that has all the stitch patterns on it? It's actually a door, the cams go in there.

Last edited by chrystal2277; 06-12-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by chrystal2277
Jeff- I replied to pm. I have the original manual for this machine. If someone can instruct me on the best way to scan and compile it, I would love to share it with you! Can't help otherwise though, mine is giving me trouble

And Ladies.....this forum has me slowing down at rummage sales and peering out the window at old machine tables wondering what may be in them lol.....I have overcome the urge so far, I must get mine working properly before I can even think of rescuing others lol. I am gonna be strong and save all my machine love for my Dial N Sew.
Chrystal; You have more than enough love for several more machines to be in your possession. Besides, you need an old Singer so the gals can natter at each other when you're not keeping them company. Yep, I'm enabling, no wait encouraging, you to rescue the older ladies when you see them.

Chris, who has many machines and still keeps acquiring them.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:02 AM

Question share instructions?

Originally Posted by chrystal2277
Thanks for your replies ladies. Gonna oil her down this afternoon and test run her. Wish me luck! She turn really stiff manually so I am hoping that a good oiling will loosen her up.

Any idea when she was manufactured? 80's maybe? I think she is one of what you people call a "badged" machine? Am I correct or way out in left field here? lol
Hi Chrystal,
I think I have the same Dial n Sew machine, inherited from a family friend. Underneath there is a plate that says model SL2110, serial number 61974.
Unfortunately, I don't have the instruction book and I'm having trouble finding it anywhere on line. Is there any chance you'd be willing to make a copy of yours and email or mail it to me? I'd be glad to pay you something for the trouble, or send you something in exchange.

Thanks!

Alix