Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • anyone familiar with Kenmore Model 33? >
  • anyone familiar with Kenmore Model 33?

• anyone familiar with Kenmore Model 33?

Old 09-12-2023, 12:26 PM

Default anyone familiar with Kenmore Model 33?

Hi all!

Hoping someone can help me with my vintage Kenmore 158.33 (1967ish), probably made by Maruzen.

I'm trying to get the zigzag working (it's been broken for so long I don't remember the circumstances of its failure) and it seems that the linkage between the knob and the mechanism isn't set up right or I'm missing a piece. The knob turns a plate on the inside of the machine but doesn't reach the arm connecting to the zigzagger. The plate has 2 posts on it--one appears to be functioning correctly and works with a knob to lock the stitch width and the other (lower arrow) presumably should interact with the part at other arrow but doesn't.

Does anyone know where I can find photos of the inside of the machine where the knobs connect? Or have a Model 33 and willing to take a peek? Or can tell me what I'm missing based on normal sewing machine setups?

I do have the parts list and I don't think I am missing any, but clearly I'm missing something!

Thanks!
    Old 09-13-2023, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the QuiltingBoard.

When you hand cycle the machine does the curved piece move back and forth? Can you manually move the arm above the curved piece out to where it would be to zigzag? It seems to me that the post on the inside of the stitch width dial should be on one side or the other of the bar sticking down and almost touching that post.
    Old 09-13-2023, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

When I hand cycle, the curved piece moves (with the pivot on the left end). And I can move the arm to zigzag and turn the wheel and see the needle zigzagging. I think this part is working.

In the photo the dial is in the 0 position so the post being under the bar is fine, but when I turn the dial it still doesn't make contact with the bar. I've tried it in different orientations and they don't work. The parts diagram suggests that the post goes on top but (1) that diagram is terrible and (2) then the little post on the other side (that locks the position of the plate and supposedly the stitch width) won't work.

Happy to take more photos, but I am not sure what.
    Old 09-13-2023, 12:07 PM

Is there a set screw on the outside dial? If so I am wondering if it can be loosened and then turn the inside pin to where it engages the downward bar, having the ZZ at zero width, resetting the outside dial, and then retightening the set screw.

I've had a few machines where dials didn't do what they were supposed to and it ended up that the dials were turned on the posts, probably because the insides were stuck and someone thought twisting on the dial as hard as possible would move things.
    Old 09-13-2023, 12:28 PM

Yes, there is. I've loosened it and turned the inner thing every way I can and it just won't reach. There is a limited number of positions it can go in due to the locking pin/post on the other side. This is the plate/post thing (I have a spare because I bought a set of knobs just for the set screws--for the record, my knobs are nice and clean):

The short post engages the locking mechanism. It is really hard to get a photo of that!

Old 09-13-2023, 01:05 PM

I am out of ideas without having the machine in front of me.

From another thread, there's a Kenmore facebook group, you might be able to find a service manual there.

There is a Facebook group for vintage Kenmore sewing machines. I am not a member, but perhaps someone there may have better information.https://www.facebook.com/groups/680558488716580/
    Old 09-13-2023, 01:14 PM

Thanks for trying, Joe! I know it's tough to diagnose remotely and I do appreciate the attempt. I was hoping it would be something obvious to those with experience but it's a black box for sure.