Bernina Jubilee 1953

Old 09-22-2023, 02:21 AM

Default Bernina Jubilee 1953

Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me on your forum. I have this Bernina machine, a model Jubilee from 1953 that my grandmother gave me. The machine stood still for ca. 40 years, but all is still intact and all parts are moving, except the lower knob that I marked red (picture from Google). I bought new rims and oiled the inside well but this knob and its mechanism are not cooperating. I’m afraid to use force on the internals. Is this a known phenomenon for machines that have been standing for a while? I would appreciate any ideas and advice on how to proceed. Thanks in advance and a lovely evening - Shachar.

P.S.
If there are other aspects that I should examine in such an old machine, before starting it, I would of course like to hear it. For example, I checked the electrical side, but only at the level of the cable that connects to the electrical outlet: it has no cracks and it looks fine on the surface. But are there other things I should check? Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails bernina-knob.jpeg.jpg  
Old 09-22-2023, 06:01 AM

Welcome to Quilting Board. It warms my heart to hear when inherited machine are kept and put back to original use.
I think that perhaps this knob (for drop feed) does have a tendency to get stuck. I know there are other machines that tend to have stuck drop feeds. Maybe this video will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0W7EBKvzIY at about the 6 minute mark.

I was able to find a couple of free manuals but aren't very good. Surprisingly the one from Bernina's website looks to be the same as on manualslib.com site. https://www.bernina.com/Bernina/medi...125-Manual.pdf and https://www.manualslib.com/manual/38...rnina-125.html There looks to be a better one on sale on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/32515167915...ntid=101721283 Unfortunately, for you, it is in the US. If you can find one to buy, it would be wise to have them send an image of one or more of the pages as there are some people that try to sell pdf or printed ones that are the same as those available for free.

Have fun with your machine.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:15 AM

Yes, it is common that machines that have been idle for a long time will get "stuck". I've been working on a older Singer sewing machine that is totally "stuck". It will come unstuck with cleaning and oiling.

bkay
Old 09-22-2023, 06:29 AM

Cute machine. I hope you get it running quickly. As bkay says, "It will comd unstuck with cleaning and oiling" Have fun with it. It's great that you are bringing your grandmother's machine back. I sew on my mom's old Singer regularly. Love it!
Old 09-22-2023, 10:18 AM

If you remove the throat plate, you can get to the back of the knob and its linkages. Heat them up with a hot blow dryer. Use Tri-flow's Superior Lubricant, then keep trying to turn it. Bernina made a special tool that fit on these knobs to help release them. Sometimes it's just a thin layer of schelack-like film that cracks right off. Other times, it's old oil that is thick and like tar. Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2023, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Wow, I didn't realize Bernina made machines that long ago. She's a beauty!!
Welcome to the board and good luck getting it to work.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:15 AM

Thanks a lot! I appreciate all the help here and your warm welcome.
Will try and these methods and update.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Steinmann
Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me on your forum. I have this Bernina machine, a model Jubilee from 1953 that my grandmother gave me. The machine stood still for ca. 40 years, but all is still intact and all parts are moving, except the lower knob that I marked red (picture from Google). I bought new rims and oiled the inside well but this knob and its mechanism are not cooperating. I’m afraid to use force on the internals. Is this a known phenomenon for machines that have been standing for a while? I would appreciate any ideas and advice on how to proceed. Thanks in advance and a lovely evening - Shachar.

P.S.
If there are other aspects that I should examine in such an old machine, before starting it, I would of course like to hear it. For example, I checked the electrical side, but only at the level of the cable that connects to the electrical outlet: it has no cracks and it looks fine on the surface. But are there other things I should check? Thanks again.

Yes, I've certainly seen this on Bernina machines. Remove the bed plate. On the ones I've worked on there is a button or a lever next to the bobbin that will allow the bed to pop off. Flip open the bobbin cover door and take a look, there may be two levers, one to pop off the throat plate and the other to pop off the bed plate.

When you pop off the bed plate you can then gain access to the mechanism behind the dial. Drip in some penetrating oil and let it sit. Work the dial very gently, but do not force it. It might also help to heat the area very very gently with a hair dryer. You don't want to use anything with high heat in order to not damage the paint. While you have the plate off, oil all of the mechanisms including a few drops of oil on the bushings.

Last edited by 1.41; 09-24-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2023, 12:44 AM

Smile

Hello guys,
After taking some covers/parts apart, I managed to get full access to the knob's mechanism and applied wd40 to it and then oiled, then wd40 again and so on. Played with that mechanism until I could turn the knob about 1/3 of its move and that with the aid of a screw driver on the inner lever. I noticed that the knob is turning with its bronze bush; The complete bush is turning with the knob, in the alu-housing. I assume this is not the right way for it to work.

Another question is regarding the Scintila motor; now when its out, I see a red dot on a drill in the cast, ca. above the motor's shaft end, on both sides. Should I oil it? Is it an oil pass for the engine's bearing?

Thanks a lott!
Old 10-14-2023, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

What a special Bernina! Hope you get her freed up and working again. I use a penetrating oil called "Liquid Wrench" when machine parts are stuck. Good luck to you.