Blind Hem Foot

Old 11-04-2014, 12:17 PM

You can use a blind hem attachment on a zigzag machine....just set your machine to do a straight stitch.

And here's a Singer blind hem guide http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-LOW-B...item5b065a8f50
It screws on with your zigzag/all purpose foot & you guide the fold along the piece in front that goes down.....that piece sits in the center of the foot.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
Me and my DH are the same vintage as SteveH. And some days it feels like it too!

This year we celebrated being married 35 years too - high school sweethearts that stayed together.
If you guys are vintage then we know what that makes me. My wife and I are on out 50th year. Good for you and your hubby Cathy.
Skip
Old 11-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn
If you guys are vintage then we know what that makes me. My wife and I are on out 50th year. Good for you and your hubby Cathy.
Skip
SSSSOOOOOOO you robbed the cradle and married Pat when she was 12???????????????
Old 11-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sarabela
You definitely have to go slow and have good vision to keep the fold in the precise spot to catch the zig zag stitch just at the edge. I miss a few every so often and have to go back over it but when I alter garments for people it's not usually dressy clothes so it works just fine and I've been told that my hems stay put better than when they've had them done elsewhere. Someone recently gave me her vintage skirts to hem, they are probably from 1980 and most are Ralph Loren. They are made from very heavy fabrics.
The little blind hemmer attachment makes the most even looking stitches I have seen. I think I've tried blind hem on all kinds of machines. I'm hooked on that thing. I think it has to do with the foot some how.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:54 PM

Lol I'm sorry about the "vintage" comment. I graduated from high school in the 80's myself, seems like it was just a few years ago.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
SSSSOOOOOOO you robbed the cradle and married Pat when she was 12???????????????
Well Miriam... almost her Dad did have a shotgun standing by the door.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby
Me and my DH are the same vintage as SteveH. And some days it feels like it too!

This year we celebrated being married 35 years too - high school sweethearts that stayed together.

Heather and I were high school sweethearts, but she was my best friends girl.... I told him that if he did not treat her right, I would... done.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney
That hurt. I was in high school in 1980. I hate to think of 1980 as "vintage".
Rodney
John and I celebrated 36 years this year. We met when I was 19 and he was 21.

I graduated HS in 1975. I hate it when people think that a 1950s era machine is an antique. I'm not an antique yet! !

I like the blind hem foot that came with the Bernina 930, its really simple to use and the resulting hem looks good also. I've learned to use it for facings on blouses and jackets, saves so much time and no pain from all that hand sewing.
Sharon in rainy central Texas

Last edited by purplefiend; 11-05-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I like the blind hem foot that came with the Bernina 930, its really simple to use and the resulting hem looks good also. I've learned to use it for facings on blouses and jackets, saves so much time and no pain from all that hand sewing.
Sharon, it sounds like this is one that actually works, yes? Is it easy to prepare for? Do you not have to do a complicated fold procedure then a bit of estimation?

Steve, you were true to your word. Great story!