Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Bobbin Winder frozen up On Singer 66 >
  • Bobbin Winder frozen up On Singer 66

• Bobbin Winder frozen up On Singer 66

Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 AM

Default Bobbin Winder frozen up On Singer 66

I have cleaned and oiled the Singer 66 Red Eye that I posted about a few weeks ago. My DH figured out why the machine began running as soon as I plugged it in, etc. Now I cannot get the bobbin winder to operate. We put on a new wheel tire to replace the one that was rotted. The shaft seems to be frozen and will not spin unless a wrench is applied and then it is hard. Any suggestions? I am really anxious to get this machine going. At the moment we have applied sewing machine oil in an attempt to free it but do not know if there is something else that we need to do. Thanks for your help.
    Old 05-21-2019, 12:05 PM

Have you tried paraffin (petroleum)? It may dissolve the old oil or the rust that prevent the chaft from moving...
    Old 05-21-2019, 01:21 PM

Wow. seriously stuck. Turn the head so it is resting on the hand wheel andoil it again so maybe it will drip down the shaft. Did you clean out the oil hole with a paperclip or something small? Will the winder rock back and forth like it should?
    Old 05-22-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Seb58
    Have you tried paraffin (petroleum)? It may dissolve the old oil or the rust that prevent the chaft from moving...
    Here in the USA it is known as Kerosene. If used, one needs to be sure and oil with sewing machine oil after using.

I have also had good results from using Tri-Flow oil. When moving, one needs to keep it moving for a while. I don't remember Alva if you posted a picture of the machine. I know some times the "teeth" on them that need to mesh together to turn, will sometimes get rusted together. I think that I have had it happen where it didn't go back together quite right that I have had trouble turning it, too. If you can get away without taking the winder apart - that is what I would suggest. There is a spring that has to go back together correctly that can be kind of fiddly to get it in the proper position.

You can take the winder off the machine and use kerosene or oil or whatever, so you don't have to worry about the decals and japanning, you should be able to turn it by hand and watch how it works.

Once it is moving smoothly by hand, then you can put it back on the machine and run it for a while. Sometimes it will work okay, but then after sitting for a while, the dried oil or rust redeposits itself.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Old 05-22-2019, 09:57 AM

And if you use kerosene... do it outside. no sewing machine is worth burning up a house.
    Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 PM

I don't repair old machines, but I do love a product called Aero Kroil. It penetrates when nothing else will and doesn't dry out. It will leave a weird odor for awhile. http://www.kanolabs.com/msn/

We have a small camp on the Gulf Coast. The salt corrodes everything. We use Aero Kroil, the spray, every couple of months to keep the locks working and on all the hinges and anything else metal that has to move. It has been fabulous for everything we have tried.