Brother 15 Clone

Old 08-11-2024, 08:07 AM

Default Brother 15 Clone

Hello everyone, it's been quite some time since I've posted about a "new" machine; without getting into all the details health issues have dictated a change of hobbies. But someone gave me this machine a few months back and I finally started tackling it.

It's a Singer 15 clone, I'm going to guess from the early to mid 1950s. The machine itself was not super dirty, but the bottom of the case, under the machine, was covered in mouse droppings (I should have worn a mask just to vacuum it). There are the stains on the bed, almost in a pattern, and they appear to be under the clear, hard finish on this machine; you might be able to tell that from the 2nd picture. I tried several things to clean, including a commercial degreaser, but all I did was clean the hard finish. If anyone has thoughts I would appreciate it.

I was surprised to see some of the parts marked "Brother" and with part numbers, which I don't recall seeing on any 15 clones before. Also, something I have seen before on a few machines, including a Kenmore from the 70s, the feed dog drop mechanism on the underside was secured with a cotter pin such that the knob would not turn to drop the dogs. Any thoughts on why that might be?

I still have to clean the case, and I am not sure what I will do with this machine.
Attached Thumbnails 20240811_104644.jpg   20240811_104619.jpg  
Old 08-12-2024, 04:09 AM

Might that be surface rust on the machine bed (under the clear coat)?

That looks like it would make a good everyday sewing machine, or a good backup machine for someone.

bkay.
Old 08-12-2024, 12:51 PM

A backup to the backup to the backup to the backup to the backup machine??

There was really no rust anywhere else, but plenty of old oil. Maybe I'll never know.
Old 08-12-2024, 04:08 PM

Could those marks be burns from a cigarette?
Old 08-13-2024, 09:37 AM

At first look burns seems possible, but then someone would have had to clear coat over them. I'm pretty sure the clear coat is factory, it's too evenly laid. Maybe oil soaked through the coating; it's the apparent pattern that has me puzzled.
Old 08-14-2024, 01:40 PM

Joe,
I was finally able to access my machine. It is like yours, but has a table extension. I converted to a handcrank. It toi has a cotter pin. The feed dog knob works just fine.
It has a cotter pin connecting parts of the drop feed mechanism. If the knob is not working, you can move the mechanism parts underneath to get it going.
I have pictures, but they are too big. I am on a Samsung tablet and having problem finding method to reduce picture size.

Old 08-14-2024, 04:16 PM

The feed dog drop mechanism works with the cotter pin in place? Hmmm now I'm wondering if the cotter pin is to prevent the rod that drops the dogs from backing out too far if the drop knob is turned too far. I'd better put in a new cotter pin and test it. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

In case anyone is wondering what we're talking about with the cotter pin, here are some pictures. First is the entire length of the rod from the feed dog drop knob to the connection to the feed dogs. Second is the rod in the "dogs down" position (no cotter pin); you can see a spring on the inside. Third is the rod in the "dogs up" position with the cotter pin in.

I think lowering the feed dogs compresses the spring against the cotter pin, providing some force to raise the feed dogs all the way when the knob is turned back to "up". Assuming this to be the intent I reinserted a cotter pin with the dogs up, spring not compressed.
Attached Thumbnails 20240815_173850.jpg   20240815_173738.jpg   20240815_173834.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr
The feed dog drop mechanism works with the cotter pin in place? Hmmm now I'm wondering if the cotter pin is to prevent the rod that drops the dogs from backing out too far if the drop knob is turned too far. I'd better put in a new cotter pin and test it. Thanks.
Yes, yes, yes