Brunswick Basket Case

Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Thanks for posting photos of your Brunswick machine. I’m in the process of cleaning up an old National for a lady in Massachusetts that found the treadle machine in a shed at her family’s rural Oklahoma home. We haven’t been able to read the letters on the arm yet, but it appears to have the same decals as your Brunswick. The head is basking in a sewing machine oil soak right now, and she’ll begin work on the treadle cabinet this August some time. Her cabinet is still in fair shape, and it must be a different cabinet than yours, as I see a bolt-on bed extension on yours, and hers doesn’t have that. I didn’t get any photos of her cabinet.

CD in Oklahoma
Your machine looks identical to mine even the emblem cover plate on the top of the pillar is the same. I will take a closeup of it and post later. The Brunswick was made by National. Does your machine have a serial number? It would sure be nice to see pics of the cabinet. As you can tell from my pictures Brunhilda's cabinet is toast but I may be able to salvage the pieces for patterns to rebuild a new cabinet. The irons are in great shape, I guess that is a plus.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:34 PM

"Brunhilda" is a very pretty machine. You have done alot for her already.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:02 AM

You are doing a wonderful job...... she's looking so much better. But, I have a question. If you soak a machine in kerosene, doesn't that strip off all the paint and decals? I'm new at this having just worked on the machine my brother got for me before he passed. But, I have passed up buying old machines in the past and now I think I'm hooked...... I'll be looking for machines this summer while I'm at our cabin..... there were a couple I should have gotten last year and now I'm kicking myself......
Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 AM

Brunhilda is looking beautiful!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Nice work on 'Brunhilda'. Thanks for the info about cleaning her. Looking forward for her best when done.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Default Brunhilda's Medallion

Picture 1 before cleaning with Maas, picture 2 after cleaning with Maas. I think it is going to be as good as it gets. Looks like the same medallion as the machine you are working on CD.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-04-20-brunswick-medallion-bobbin-winder-002.jpg   2012-04-20-brunswick-medallion-bobbin-winder-005.jpg  
Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 PM

Caroline,

What is Maas?

Joe
Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller
Caroline,

What is Maas?

Joe
MAAS is a fine polishing cream for all metals. It comes in a silver tube. I bought it some years ago for polishing the silver on my horse tack. It can be used on silver, gold, brass, copper, stainless steel, chrome, aluminum. I believe it can be purchased on Amazon or Ebay. I have looked locally for it recently and can't find it. It does a pretty good job and is non abrasive.

I got a question for you Joe. Is there another product similar to Evapo Rust? Can't find it here either.
Caroline
Old 04-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Caroline,

I don't know about the Evapo Rust. We get it at O'Reily Auto Parts.

I'll keep my eyes open for the MAAS. Sounds like something I should have.

Joe
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM

Don't you just cringe to see the pin cushion thingy around the machine like that. They usually take off the Japanning under it with the pins. After seeing the before pictures of the Brunswick, anything is possible. I couldn't believe what a transformation that was. A little love goes a long way. That poor baby had been outside for quite a while. My Singer 66 was in a leaky shed and the cabinet fell apart. I found new drawers for it at an auction and would like to rehab it. Everybody says I'm nuts, but after seening these pictures, maybe............