Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Can anybody tell me about this machine?  I think it's a Singer 15 >
  • Can anybody tell me about this machine? I think it's a Singer 15

• Can anybody tell me about this machine? I think it's a Singer 15

Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 AM

The pictures of the underneath show this is a 15, not a 115. They look identical from the top side but very different from the bottom.
    Old 08-11-2013, 04:21 AM

Here are both - the 115 is on the left, the 15 on the right (I'm using a 15-91 but older 15's are basically the same underneath). Any "differences" on the top side are due to it being a much newer 15.

The Tiffany decal pattern was used an an assortment of different models, according to ISMACS, the 15, 27, 28, 66, and 115 from about 1900-1930

However if you see one like this - it's a 115 as this was not used on any other machine.

I won't get that machine home until October - I am so excited to have found one (paid $45 for it too).

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-11-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    Old 08-11-2013, 04:44 AM

BTW - based on the Serial Number, it's a Model 15, numbers allocated 10-6-1925

An early model 15 is one machine I don't have. I'm looking for one with a decal other than the Tiffany - and that is the hard part.

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-11-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    Old 08-11-2013, 04:48 AM
    Power Poster

Now I have to look again at mine.
    Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 AM

DH and I found a machine like this about 2 months ago - assumed it was a 15, so I did what I always do - got out my smartphone and looked up the serial number - and it was a 115! Since I'm relatively new at this, I had never encountered the 115 before -did not know it existed LOL!!

Then DH and I started arguing about machines in pictures - is it a 15 or a 115? BTW - that is a game we play - and we finally figured out the only way to tell was from the bottom side - at least on the very early ones. Serial numbers are great - if you have a picture of it. I've had way too many sellers provide me with the wrong number when I ask for it.

You can also check the movement - the 15 is oscillating (hook switches direction) and the 115 is full rotating.

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-11-2013 at 05:40 AM.
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    If you plug the motor directly into the wall it will take off full speed. You really don't want to do that . . .
    That's what I was afraid of!! I'm glad I thought to wait!

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    Here is a picture - this one was sold as a "conversion kit" and the footpedal is not Singer. I took it off a Red Eye I put a hand crank on....

Thank you for the picture! I think I'm "getting it" now, that's great! Maybe I can find one of these conversion kits on eBay and not have to rewire. I was wondering how on earth anybody used this machine the way it is now, and so now this all makes a lot more sense.
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:55 AM

These old machines are really addicting. In researching this machine (and browsing around on this forum here) I am seeing so many things that make me "ooh" and "aah". GREAT, just what I need...another addiction! LOL It makes me understand better why my (musician) husband is always so interested in weird old musical equipment.

I'll have to get this one cleaned up and post some "after" pictures. She'll never look brand-new (at least not with anything within my capabilities) but I can at least get the gunk and grime off. Now I wish I knew her history! Who had her, how many generations of sewers used her, and what did she make!?
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:08 AM
    Power Poster

You'll have to make your own history with that machine. Be glad it DOESN'T look new. You can be free to use it any way you like - enjoy!!! I find that the ones that look used are the better machines. It does make you wonder about their history though. At least she was loved!
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:33 AM

True, Miriam, the "well used/loved" look is what drew me in when I saw her sitting there. I do want to try to get the rust off as much as possible (especially on the moving parts) and I want to get her as clean as possible but I am rather fond of the chipped paint and even the beat up wooden base looks good to me. I love used things, it's why I go to thrift stores in the first place!

When I had her up at the counter to pay for her, three different people stopped to check her out. I guess I'm lucky I spotted her first!
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

I found a bottle of oil at the bike shop and just had to test it out. I forget what it is called. I have an old black line Singer 15 that was very mistreated. It was rusted pretty good. When my sister was here in May or was it June... anyway she wanted a 101 on tensions. I grabbed that one and we cleaned it up. I was shocked. I figured it was a lost cause and not worth the trouble. Since the tension was so easy to fix I got the machine out and cleaned the other hard hit area, the shuttle. I got no where until I got out that bottle of oil from the bike shop. It is for lubricating chains. The stuff did cut through the rust. It was some kind of wet lubricant - right next to the Tri-Flow... LOL It's in a green bottle and the oil is green.