Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Can anybody tell me about this machine?  I think it's a Singer 15 >
  • Can anybody tell me about this machine? I think it's a Singer 15

• Can anybody tell me about this machine? I think it's a Singer 15

Old 08-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Cool, I will look for that! There are a LOT of bike shops in this area so I should be able to find it. I was considering WD-40, I know it will remove rust but not sure if it's OK to use.

I found a pedal on Amazon (of all places) that I think will work, and also picked up a replacement rubber "tire" for my bobbin winder since the one that's on there is hard and cracked. I'm getting really excited about trying to get this machine working again!
    Old 08-11-2013, 06:10 PM
    Power Poster

It is very exciting when you get them to work - the worse they are the more satisfying. Don't forget to cut out some cool felt pads for the spools.
    Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I picked this machine up for $20 at a charity shop this afternoon, and I've done some Googling but I still don't really know what I have! It came with no manual and no accessories beyond the bobbin in the case and the (hardwired) cord. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to have a pedal because I can't see where one would plug in! I looked up the serial number and I think it's from 1925. I'm afraid to plug it in because I'm not sure what will happen if I do! It moves freely and seems in worn but not-terribly-broken shape - at least, I don't hear any grinding and nothing appears obviously broken or missing to me. (I did notice the thread spindle thingy is bent, but that and the chipped paint seems the worst of the damage so far as I can tell.) I bought it thinking I'd just clean it up a little and use it as a decoration but if I can get it to run again without a huge investment that would be really coo

My internet research seems to indicate this is a Singer 15, but I'm not sure what type of Singer 15 as there seems to be a lot of variety in the model 15's. And then when I was taking pictures underneath I see a 13 stamped into it so now I'm not sure!

Sorry for the poor quality of some of these pictures, I have bad lighting in my living room and had to use the flash.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429625[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429627[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429628[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429629[/ATTACH]

Can you see the 13 in this pic? Not sure if that means anything!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]429630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429631[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429632[/ATTACH]

I'm also not sure...what should I use to clean this? The decals are already pretty worn, I really don't want to damage them any further. But it has a lot of grease and gunky buildup I'd like to clean off if I can learn how to do so safely!

(In the background you might spy some bits and pieces from another machine; that's my Pfaff 332-260, another vintage "project" machine. That one I think I paid too much for due to drinking wine and shopping on ebay! It's just like the one my Gran taught me how to sew on and my sentimental heart got the better of my wallet on that one, I'm afraid. That one needs to visit the shop and then I'll find out how badly I did!)

Thanks for looking!
    it is a 1925 model that I found through google using ( old singer model's )