Can you ID this sewing machine?

Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll
At first glance, it looks similar to a Taiwanese Necchi.

Can you find any indication of country of origin?
made in tiawan on the bottom on a sticker.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:17 PM

Well, so far, it seems that this unknown sewing machine appears to be a off brand made in Taiwan some time around the early to mid 1970's. It appears to be simular to a kenmore, but closer to a dressmaker 101. The manuals for the dress maker 101's on various pages, have a drawing that is very close to my picture.

The problem I see now, is paying 10 bucks for a manual thats converted to a digital format (PDF) file. 10 bucks for a CD copy or a printed copy maybe.. but not a digital copy that can be copied 500 times and sent out.

Oh well.. I would say we are at 80 percent ID'd.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Now, can anyone tell me where I can Get, or VIEW a dressmaker 101 Manual without having to pay 10 bucks for it?
10 bucks for a pdf file is a crime.. and I just want to see one to see if it matches up with my machine..
Old 11-07-2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bumbledor
10 bucks for a pdf file is a crime.
I agree 100%. Last week I bought a lovely Bernina 642-1 and manual didn't come with it. Not available online unless you pay one of these scammers for a scanned one which made my blood boil.
The lovely Bernina seller SMS'd me a few days later and she has found the manual (and knee lift - bonus!): I'll ask Bernina if I can scan it and make available as a free PDF for everyone, then add it to the list (linked from the resources thread). The scammers can suck on that
Old 11-07-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike
I agree 100%. Last week I bought a lovely Bernina 642-1 and manual didn't come with it. Not available online unless you pay one of these scammers for a scanned one which made my blood boil.
The lovely Bernina seller SMS'd me a few days later and she has found the manual (and knee lift - bonus!): I'll ask Bernina if I can scan it and make available as a free PDF for everyone, then add it to the list (linked from the resources thread). The scammers can suck on that
That's commendable that your willing to take the time to scan a manual and make it available for free to needy individuals. That's never set right with me either those people that take a already scanned and free manual available on the net an resell it. However, if they take the time to scan it themselves and sell an unavailable manual, well done, than they should be able to make a reasonable profit and are providing a service. I've scanned one or two and it is a lot of work and my efforts were no where near what I consider saleable.

Jon
Old 11-08-2014, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
However, if they take the time to scan it themselves and sell an unavailable manual, well done, than they should be able to make a reasonable profit and are providing a service.
I take issue with them making money selling someone else's work, and I believe this is obviously wrong. If you didn't actually write the manual, how is it not wrong to make money continuously selling it when you've already made your money?
Scanning someone else's document and making $10 for your time is possibly OK, but selling it 100 times or more and keeping the $1,000 is obviously (to me) wrong.

Just my opinion of course. I have the manual now, incidentally, and have asked Bernina if it's OK to give it away.

Last edited by manicmike; 11-08-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
That's commendable that your willing to take the time to scan a manual and make it available for free to needy individuals. That's never set right with me either those people that take a already scanned and free manual available on the net an resell it. However, if they take the time to scan it themselves and sell an unavailable manual, well done, than they should be able to make a reasonable profit and are providing a service. I've scanned one or two and it is a lot of work and ....

Jon
I'm calling Bulls**t on this.

I scan documents and books all the time on my hp printer. The software makes it easy to do and if its 10 page document I can make a nice pdf file out of in in about 30 min's. Then sell it at 10 bucks a copy? No.. maybe a buck or two at most.. If its something that i have legal right to resell, as most of the stuff I scan is for legal purposes and is not resellable. The point is, its not that difficult to do and 10 bucks for a PDF file of any kind is a rip off.

I bet those sites don't sell to many of them. I noticed that several of the sites selling them are all owned by the same company. Buyer beware.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike
I take issue with them making money selling someone else's work, and I believe this is obviously wrong. If you didn't actually write the manual, how is it not wrong to make money continuously selling it when you've already made your money?
Scanning someone else's document and making $10 for your time is possibly OK, but selling it 100 times or more and keeping the $1,000 is obviously (to me) wrong.
I agree, what they are doing is wrong.. wonder if there is a copywrite infringement in process?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by bumbledor
I'm calling Bulls**t on this.
Did you say someone gave you the sewing machine for free?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-08-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Did you say someone gave you the sewing machine for free?

CD in Oklahoma
Well, if you read the original post, I said it was given to me, didn't say if it was free or not. What does it matter?
The original post was to try to identify it..
So far, it SEEMS it has an 80 percent chance of being a kind of dressmaker 101 model.. but we are not sure.
And to get a dressmaker 101 manual in pdf format, from what I can find using google is 10 bucks for a PDF file.
to which I said was a frigging crime. Read the thread (messages).. you will catch on to the conversation.

Oh the thing works..straight line sewing. haven't tried any of the other patterns, as they may need different feet.