Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Can't figure out how to use Kenmore 566.3241 table with a Kenmore 120.491 machine >
  • Can't figure out how to use Kenmore 566.3241 table with a Kenmore 120.491 machine

• Can't figure out how to use Kenmore 566.3241 table with a Kenmore 120.491 machine

Old 07-28-2023, 12:22 PM

Default Can't figure out how to use Kenmore 566.3241 table with a Kenmore 120.491 machine

Recently, I purchased a Kenmore sewing machine and I can't figure out how to use it. The original owner said it worked but I can't figure out how to operate it. I tried working with the original owner to figure it out to no avail. The unit gets power, as the light on the machine turns on but I can't get the machine itself to work. It is a knee controlled table, but I don't know how it works as this is my first sewing machine. I would appreciate any insight possible.
    Old 07-28-2023, 12:36 PM

Welcome to the QuiltingBoard!

With the machine unplugged, can you turn it by hand via the hand wheel on the right side of the machine? If not then your machine is gummed up inside and would have to be opened up and cleaned. The manual for this machine says not to oil it, but the one I had needed oiling anyway. There are nylon parts underneath and these should not be oiled. If the machine turns by hand then you have to check the wiring from the knee control to the plug underneath the machine.

Pictures of what you find may help, here are Janey's instructions for posting pictures:

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
    Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button. As shown at Standard Sewing Machine Co. Paragon

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
    And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
    Click on red "Reply" button
    Click on the paper clip icon
    Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
    Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
    After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Some additional notes -
    The photos generally need to be reduced to less than 2MB in size. I have heard of people sending an email to themselves as it will ask if you want to reduce the size.

I have an android phone and when I tried to reply on Quilting Board while in mobile view None of the options for adding pictures was available. However, there is an option down at the bottom left of the page that is for Full Site when I tapped on "Full Site" It then looked like the way it looks on my lap top. So it would have the Red Reply and the Go Advanced options.

Do Not Preview post.
    Old 07-28-2023, 12:44 PM

here are the images, one of the underside of the table and one of the underside of the machine itself. I'm not sure which you meant so I included both
    Attached Thumbnails pxl_20230728_204014247.jpg   pxl_20230728_203928440.jpg  
    Old 07-28-2023, 12:51 PM

I am not seeing anything out of place with the wiring or the connection to the machine.

Does the machine turn by hand?
    Old 07-28-2023, 12:52 PM

yes it does
    Old 07-28-2023, 01:09 PM

Do you have a continuity tester, either an ohmmeter or a battery powered light?

With the power cord unplugged from the wall you would unplug the cord from the underside of the machine. With the knee control fully actuated and with the continuity tester check the terminals in the plug which connects to the machine until you show zero resistance or the light lights up depending on your tester. I can't tell you which terminals so you'll have to check the three possible combinations. If you don't show zero resistance or the light doesn't light up in any of the 3 combinations then your knee controller needs to be checked.
    Old 07-28-2023, 01:13 PM

unfortunately I don't have anything to test it, but I still reckon it likely is a problem with the knee controller. I'm likely just going to bring it in to a local sewing machine repair shop and have them help me. however, I greatly appreciate the time you took to try and help with my problem