Careful .... they bite

Old 01-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Sorry Joe hope your finger is better today, most likely not still hurts like heck.

I do think the vintage sewing machine have been plotting against us. And like said you would think they would love all the attention being oiled, greased and the tune ups. But maybe they just want to rest now thinking they did their time in the past??? So they are out to get us!!! This year and the first time I ever had this happen I sewed into my thumb, I swear the White Rotary planned that. Then last night at 11:17 pm the same White while I was trying to get one UFO done before the New Year, the needle came out (has never happened before) and jammed into the hook/bobbin area. I was so close to finshing the UFO and would of had it done before 12:00 am. I was able to free the broken needle, put the project aside and decided to check out in the morning if any damage was done. Well this afternoon I checked out the hook, bobbin, timing and the rest of those parts to see if there was damage, there wasn't any damage, none at all. So I cleaned, oiled and regreased it which it really didn't need.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:01 PM

caroloto,

I had the needle come out on my Minnesota Mdl B. Busted it right in half. It was the only needle I had too. Really got my attention.

As for sewing into your thumbs, those old machines have a lot of torque. Thumb, finger, finger nail, 8 + layers of denim, it's all the same to those old ladies.

Joe
Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller
caroloto,

I had the needle come out on my Minnesota Mdl B. Busted it right in half. It was the only needle I had too. Really got my attention.

As for sewing into your thumbs, those old machines have a lot of torque. Thumb, finger, finger nail, 8 + layers of denim, it's all the same to those old ladies.

Joe
pop can, plywood - they aren't picky now are they?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jbj137
*** I really think they (Machines) are ungrateful.

*** We rescue, oil, grease, & love them and
*** then they do things like this to us.

Maybe they are angry at people in general for past treatment, housing them in barns or attics, making them serve as mouse or spider nests, neglecting them, not feeding them oil, letting them dry out, etc. They don't distinguish between humans. One human did it to them, so the next time they see a human, whammo!

Hope the injury is better!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM

Thumb is improving. Still bends and flexes. No pain .... unless I touch it .

I think some machines are just crankier than others. Some I've worked with have had a right to be. Others that look new and pristine shouldn't be but sometimes are. That's the case with the SEWMOR. It looks nearly new but bit me.

Oh well, it's in "time out" for now. I'll get back to it later ..... when I can look at my thumb and it's not all sorts of purple and blue colors.

Joe
Old 01-02-2014, 06:45 AM

Ouch...ouch...dang!
I'll put that machine up to teach it to do that again!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 AM

It's set back for now. I've got actual sewing projects I want to get finished before I mess with it again.

Joe
Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Poor baby, hope it feels better soon. Hope you iced it good. Get better soon. I was moving totes of material one day and put my back out and it took a month to get better and I have a strong back. Lots of ice used. Also take a wash cloth, wet and put in two baggies and freeze and it will fold around the finger.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

a good ice pack: freeze some Dawn in a zip bag
Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
a good ice pack: freeze some Dawn in a zip bag
Hmmmm, never heard of that before. I'll try it.

Joe