Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • The classic reason that Featherweight owners sell 'em. >
  • The classic reason that Featherweight owners sell 'em.

• The classic reason that Featherweight owners sell 'em.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    It's unreal the amount of thread that can collect under there. I didn't take a photo of Eliza's (the 222) thread jam or the poor painter FW I picked up. It wasn't so "spiky", but possibly more thread was wrapped under there, but here's the 301 that I picked up this summer:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]438581[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]438583[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]438585[/ATTACH]

Which is probably why there are instructions in the owner's manual for taking this part of the machine apart. Possibly the only real flaw of the FW and 301. Even just not holding the tails when you start to sew will cause this.
    This second picture of the 301 thread jam---- my mother would take apart the bobbin case to remove threads underneath. She would put the machine back into place but fould quite often the machine wouldn't sew. That little finger needs to be in the slot just above.It would take just a few moments to get her up and running. This happened several times when moms eyesite started to fail due to cataracts. I really do miss her telling me the machine isn't working. She passed away almost 3 years ago.One of two of my best sewing partners; my sister is the other.
    The 301 and the 221 are the same. Look for that along with which way the needl is threaded;if your machine won't sew. These are very quick fixes.
    Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by jimsjunque
    This second picture of the 301 thread jam---- my mother would take apart the bobbin case to remove threads underneath. She would put the machine back into place but fould quite often the machine wouldn't sew. That little finger needs to be in the slot just above.It would take just a few moments to get her up and running. This happened several times when moms eyesite started to fail due to cataracts. I really do miss her telling me the machine isn't working. She passed away almost 3 years ago.One of two of my best sewing partners; my sister is the other.
    The 301 and the 221 are the same. Look for that along with which way the needl is threaded;if your machine won't sew. These are very quick fixes.
    I should have mentioned - those were the before photos. The finger was definitely misplaced on that top one.
    Old 10-13-2013, 03:41 PM

The " chronic problem " is that people remove the throat plate to clean or whatever and don't know that the finger on the bobbin case must be in the correct position to operate.